jeffrey590
jeffrey590, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician , Saab Master Technician w/ 35 years Dealer Experience in Advanced Level Diag.
11029438

2004 saab 9-3 linear - low beam failure on both sides. bulbs

2004 saab 9-3 linear - low beam failure on both sides. bulbs are fine and fuses are ok. strange that both failed within days of each other. what to do? if there are parts to be replaced (relays, etc.), please provide part numbers.

thanks!
Good Afternoon JACUSTOMER-30ippy7r-, Can you tell me if these are halogen or Xenon lamps? Also when checking at the bulb socket are you missing +12v or ground?...Thanks...jeffrey590
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
jeffrey, i do not know whether these are halogen or xenon - my husband drives the car on a daily basis, will have to check later and get back to you.
OK Easy way to tell...when you first start the car do the headlights go down and then back up again?? Also halogen bulbs are $10 each ...Xenon bulbs are $200 each...Any help??
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

since the headlights don't work right now, it would be hard to tell whether they go down and then back up - since there is no light to watch. if we had someone start the car and someone watch the headlights from the front, would we be able to see movement? again, we would have to check later.

also, one side failed a while back and my husband bought and replaced the bulb. i don't recall him grumbling about the cost of the replacement, so he probably picked up halogen bulbs. HOWEVER, that doesn't necessarily mean that he bought the right type of bulbs (probably didn't know there was a difference).

if we put halogen in, when we were supposed to replace with xenon - would the headlight have worked at all that first time we replaced it?

are we getting closer to figuring out whether we have halogen or xenon?

OK...They are most likely halogen then... You cannot swap one to the other...completely different design...Here is your problem...You will need to get 2 headlamp repair kits from Saab dealer...They each consist of an upgraded wire harness and a new bulb plug...You will also need to replace both bulbs again...Heres why...You CANNOT touch the glass on the new bulb or it will fail prematurely due to the oil from your fingers....If your husband isnt handy you should have the harnesses replaced by a professional...It involves soldering wires and a fair bit of auto electrical experience...That should do it...Only other issue would be if he installed the replacement bulbs incorrectly...He will tell you they arent the easiest to change...If i can assist further please let me know...jeffrey590