Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

2002 ford explorer: hub..The bearing is bad.I..mechanical

Customer Question

How do you remove the rear hub on a 2002 ford explorer? The bearing is bad.I have good mechanical ability and I need to save labor costs.
Category: Car
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 4 years ago.

hi

you may need a shop press for this

this should help..please print

thanks

Lincoln Aviator, Ford Explorer, Exp Sport, Exp Sport-Trac, Mercury Mountaineer 2000-2005

Wheel Bearings

• REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

Removal & Installation

WARNING Do not loosen the axle wheel hub retainer until the wheel and tire are removed from the vehicle. Wheel bearing damage will occur if the wheel bearing is unloaded with the weight of the vehicle applied.

NOTE Have an assistant press the brake pedal to keep the axle from turning.

1. Before servicing the vehicle, please familiarize yourself with safety procedures.
  2. Remove the axle-to-wheel hub retainer nut and washer.
  3. Remove the parking brake shoes.
    WARNING Do not use a hammer to separate the outboard CV-joint from the hub. Damage to the threads and internal CV-joint components can result.
  4. Press the outboard CV-joint until it is loose from the hub.
  5. Remove and discard the toe link-to-wheel knuckle nut.
    WARNING Do not damage the boot while separating the toe link from the wheel knuckle.
  6. Remove the bolt and separate the toe link from the wheel knuckle.
  7. Remove and discard the upper arm-to-wheel knuckle nut.
    WARNING Do not damage the boot while separating the ball joint from the wheel knuckle.
  8. Remove the bolt and separate the upper arm from the wheel knuckle.
  9. Remove and discard the lower arm-to-wheel knuckle nut.
  10. Remove the lower arm-to-wheel knuckle bolt.
  11. Remove the wheel knuckle.
  12. Using a suitable press, remove and discard the wheel hub.
  13. Remove and discard the wheel bearing retainer ring.
  14. Using a suitable press, remove the wheel bearing.
  15. FIG : Rear hub/bearing Assembly-Aviator, Explorer and Mountaineer

image

16. FIG : Pressing out the bearing

image

17. To install:

1. Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure.
    2. Observe the following torques:

Lower arm-to-wheel knuckle nut: 111 ft. lbs. (150 Nm). Upper arm-to-wheel knuckle nut: 66 ft. lbs. (90 Nm). Toe link-to-wheel knuckle nut: 66 ft. lbs. (90 Nm). Axle-to-hub retainer nut: 203 ft. lbs. (275 Nm).
    3. Always install a new:

Axle-to-wheel hub retainer nut. Toe link-to-wheel knuckle nut. Upper arm-to-wheel knuckle nut. Lower arm-to-wheel knuckle nut. Wheel hub. Wheel bearing retainer ring.

1. Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the precautions in the beginning of this section.
    2. Remove or disconnect the following:
      NOTE Do not loosen the axle wheel hub retainer until the wheel and tire are removed from the vehicle. Wheel bearing damage will occur if the wheel bearing is unloaded with the weight of the vehicle applied.

NOTE Do not use a hammer to separate the outboard CV joint from the hub. Damage to the threads and internal CV joint components may result.

Wheel Hub nut and washer. Discard the nut. Brake shield Nut and bolt and separate the toe link from the wheel knuckle. Discard the nut. Nut and bolt and separate the upper ball joint from the wheel knuckle. Discard the nut.
    3. Press the outboard CV joint until it is loose from the hub.
    4. Remove the nut and bolt and the wheel knuckle, hub and bearing as an assembly. Discard the nut.
    5. Remove the hub and bearing.
      WARNING Make sure that the press adapter outside diameter is slightly smaller than the hub outside diameter or damage to the knuckle will result.
    6. Using a suitable press, remove the hub from the bearing. Discard the hub.
      NOTE The retainer ring is tapered and must be installed flat side down.

Remove the retainer ring. Discard the retainer ring. Using a suitable press, remove the bearing from the wheel knuckle. Discard the bearing.
    7. The hub and bearing cannot be reused after disassembly.
    8. To install, reverse the removal procedure. Observe the following torques:

Knuckle-to-control arm: 111 ft. lbs. (150 Nm) Ball joint nut: 66 ft. lbs. (90 Nm) Toe link nut: 66 ft. lbs. (90 Nm) Hub nut: 258 ft. lbs. (350 Nm)

1. Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the -Precautions- section.
    3. Remove the parking brake shoes.
    11. Remove the wheel knuckle.

image

16. FIG : Pressing out the bearing

image

17. To install:

2. Observe the following torque specifications:

3. Always install a new:

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
This sounds too complicated for me to do without the possibility of causing damage. I thought I would remove the hub and have a shop replace the bearing if I could find a shop willing to do so. Please tell me if I seem to be asking for trouble. I wiil accept your answer.

hi

well,if you have mechanical experience and to tools..this should be no problem..it would be a good idea to let a shop replace the bearing..you may save a few bucks....just take your time,follow the directions,,,you can do this

thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Two more questions: What is a toe link and what is a wheel knuckle? I have mechanical ability but have never been an auto mechanic. Also, I assume that I will not need a press or puller if I can get a shop to replace the bearing.