Tim West
Tim West, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Service Manager for Bridgstone/ Firestone

how to replace the Stoplight Switch on Hyundai 2007 accent

Category: Car
Expert:  Tim West replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for visiting Just Answer,
There is a recall on this part. YOu can have the dealer do it free.
I would contact the dealer to see if you are eligable.

Hyundai/Accent 2006-2007

Hyundai/Azera 2007

Hyundai/Elantra 2007

Hyundai/Entourage 2006-2007

Hyundai/Santa Fe 2007

Hyundai/Sonata 2006-2007

Hyundai/Tucson 2005-2007

Hyundai/Veracruz 2007-2008

MFR'S REPORT DATE: April 14, 2009

COMPONENT: Service Brakes, Hydraulic: Switches: Brake Light

Hyundai is recalling 531,894 M/Y 2006-2007 Accent, Entourage, Sonata, M/Y 2007 Azera, Elantra and Santa Fe, M/Y 2005-2007 Tucson and M/Y 2007-2008 Veracruz vehicles. The stop lamp switch in the affected vehicles may malfunction. A malfunctioning stop lamp switch may cause the brake lights to not illuminate when the brake pedal is depressed or may cause the brake lights to remain illuminated when the brake pedal is released. A stop lamp switch malfunction may affect the operation of the brake-transmission shift interlock feature so the transmission shifter would not be able to be shifted out of park position. It may also cause the Electronic Stability Control (ESC) malfunction light to illuminate, and it may not deactivate the cruise control when the brake pedal is depressed. CONSEQUENCE:
These malfunctions my lead to a crash. REMEDY:
Dealers will replace the stop lamp switch free of charge. The recall is expected to begin during April 2009. Owners may contact Hyundai customer assistance center at 1-800-633-5151. NOTES:
Hyundai recall No. 092. Owners may also contact The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
My VIN number does not qualify for the recall. I already tried. Smile
Expert:  Tim West replied 6 years ago.

Ah, well It was well worth a shot.

Do the pictures help?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Sorry, not really. I know where the swtich is and a pretty good idea on how to get it out. I just don't know how to keep the stop pedal depressed while I unscrew the bolt on the switch. Also, I don't know any calibration or other details involved. To sum it up I would like just basically a step by step on the removal and the re-installation of the new switch. Does that make sense?

Expert:  Tim West replied 6 years ago.
Yes, it makes great sense, my repair manual does not elaborate on the installation, this tells me it should be cut and dry. However, I have not made this repair on this vehicle so any info that I give you off the top of my head would only be freom the ones I havew seen before. Therefore, I do not have the exact answer you are looking for.
I only want to provide accurate info so I will opt out so another expert can assist.