Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

Recommended way of replacing the alternator on a 2001 VW Jetta VR6

What is the recommended way of replacing the alternator on a 2001 VW Jetta VR6
Category: Car
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 4 years ago.

hi

this may help..please print

thanks

FIG : The 2.8L V6 alternator, regulator and their mounting components

image

FIG : Use Tool No. 3310 or its equivalent to remove the alternator drive pulley on 1.8L and 2.8L engines

image

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Note the alternator drive belt's installation direction before removal. Install the belt in the same direction

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. The 1.8L alternator is hard mounted to the front of the engine

All Others

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Alternator mounting detail-2.0L engines

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Alternator belt routing-all except VR6, with power steering, no A/C

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Alternator belt mounting detail-1993-99 diesel engines

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Diesel engine belt alternator belt routing

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Alternator belt mounting detail-1994-99 VR6 engines

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Disconnect the wiring from the alternator. If necessary, mark the wires with tape or other means to ensure they are connected properly upon installation.
  3. Loosen the belt tension, and remove the drive belt from the alternator. On VR6 (AAA) engines only, remove the belt tensioner from the cylinder head.
  4. Remove the alternator adjustment bolt, followed by the pivot bolts.
  5. Carefully lift the alternator from the bracket.

To install:

1. Hold the alternator in position on the mounting bracket, and install the pivot bolt. On later engines with automatic belt tensioners, install the upper mounting bolt.
  2. Install (but do not tighten) the alternator adjustment bolt (earlier models only).
  3. Place the alternator drive belt on the pulley.
  4. Adjust belt tension and tighten the mounting and adjustment bolts as necessary.
  5. Connect the wiring to the alternator. If tape was used to identify the wires, make sure it is removed once the wires are connected.
  6. Connect the negative battery cable.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
On this vehicle, the alternator is hidden beneath the intake manifold and is above the PS pump and the A/C compressor. How do I get to the alternator itself? Do I need to remove the intake and its associated fuel rail and other items or do I need to move the front radiator/condenser unit out of the way, including the bumper cover(s)?

hi

this alternator will need to come out from the bottom of the car..it may be easier to remove the front wheel and take it out through the fender well

thanks

Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience: Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.