Amedee, Former ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

2003 Mazda 6: 2.3L..35 mph..the auto transmission..4th gear

I have a 2003 Mazda 6 with 2.3L engine. When going above 35 mph the battery light comes on and the auto transmission will not shift to 4th gear. The AT light flickers on/off sometimes when this is happening. The owners manual said this was a result of the transmission not getting the propper electrical current. While at an idle the car runs and acts right, I have replaced the battery already. I was told the altenator is not putting out enough at higher speeds. Does removing the altenator and having it tested seem like the correct place to start on this? If not what should I look at next?

THat might not be a bad idea... however it might not test out bad. THe alternator still might be charging when this happens but just turns on the light. If you get it tested, it may not test out bad.

I will say that alternators are very common for this on these vehicles. I would just recommend to replace the alternator. BUt if you can get it tested for free, might as well and see how it goes.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is there anything else that would be worth checking out on this problem?
It is a pretty straight forward problem. It is usually the alternator that causes it. But yes... just be sure all the wiring and connections are in good shape that go to and from the alternator.