Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIANCE, AUTO AND TRUCK,FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DIESEL
17454363

I have a 1999 Saab 9-3 Convertible with a gear shift problem.

I have a 1999 Saab 9-3 Convertible with a gear shift problem. Sometimes it won't start in park. The "Check Gear Box" light comes on and it can only be started in neutral. I took it to the Saab dealer to be fixed. They replaced the gear shift cable but the problem is still happening. The dealer wants another $100 to diagnose the problem.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it only starts in nuetral, and not in park, then you have a bad transmission position sensor and will need to be replaced, i will post the procedure for removal below,Tim
Notes

To remove

1. Remove the battery cover, battery and battery tray.
  2. Clean round where the fluid filler pipe enters the gearbox.
  3. Remove the fluid filler pipe.
  4. Move the selector lever to position 1 and undo the lever's retaining nut.
  5. Remove the lever.

1. Remove the selector lever position sensor's retaining bolts.
  2. Remove the selector lever position sensor's nut.
  3. Unplug the connector and lift the sensor off the shaft.

To fit

1. Select neutral, plug in the connector and fit the sensor to the shaft. Tighten the bolts on the selector lever position sensor (important)

1. Screw on the selector lever position sensor's nut. Bend up the securing plate Tightening torque: 8 Nm (6 ft. lbs.)
  2. Fit Setting tool. gear selector position sensor87 92 467. Undo the selector lever position sensor bolts and adjust the sensor so that the mark is visible in the centre of the setting tool groove.
  3. Tighten the bolts. Tightening torque: 25 Nm (18.5 ft. lbs.)
  4. Clean and lubricate the fluid filler pipe's O-ring with petroleum jelly (Vaseline). Refit the fluid filler pipe. Tightening torque: 25 Nm (18.5 ft. lbs.)
  5. Remove the tool and refit the lever. Before tightening the nut, move the selector lever to position P (to relieve the cable of tension). Tightening torque: 25 Nm (18.5 ft. lbs.)
  6. Refit the battery tray, battery and battery cover.
  7. Check that the engine starts when the selector lever is in positions P and N. The engine should not start if the selector lever is in position R, D, 3, 2 or 1. The reversing light should light up only in position R.
  8. Set the right time on the clock. IMPORTANT: On cars with a shift-lock function, incorrect adjustment of the selector lever position sensor could result in disablement of this function (SHIFT-LOCK).

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
So, it looks like you are saying that this is not a complicated repair requiring the engine to be dropped and the dashboard removed. Is this a correct assumption?
No, you dont have to do either if its the trans position sensor, we know it has power going in and out, because it starts in nuetral, so if it doesnt start in park, it has to be a bad sensor,Tim