Ivan
Ivan, ASE Certified Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech w/ 20+ years in the field. Self employed for 9 years. Member of AUTOLAB radio show.
10772012

How to remove crankshaft gear (for crankshaft front seal replacement)

Customer Question

How to remove crankshaft gear (for crankshaft front seal replacement) - Mazda Protege 97, LX, 1.5L?

I can send you a picture of that gear. I couldn't find a appropriate puller, because there are only two holes and they are off the line...
Category: Car
Expert:  Arench replied 4 years ago.

Greetings from Arench.

The lower timing belt gear is not pressed on. Remove pulley bolt and pulley boss.

Get some carburetor cleaner and spray the area around the crankshaft key and let it sit 5 minutes.

Pull the crankshaft key out, and remember how it goes back in. Then slide the gear off by hand. If the gear will not slide off, spray the carburetor cleaner in the hole left by the removed key and keep trying.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you very much! Let me try if this works, so I can accept answer.
Expert:  Arench replied 4 years ago.

good luck!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'll go to by carburetor cleaner. I'll get back to you for sure.
Are there some special hints for seal removal?
Expert:  Arench replied 4 years ago.

once that gear is out of the way just pop it out with a small flat blade screwdriver. Put some motor oil on the new seal and push it on with your fingers. tap it flush with the oil pump body using a big socket.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I did this procedure twice (spray the area around the crankshaft key), but it did not went out.
Maybe third attempt will be lucky. I'll let you know...
Expert:  Arench replied 4 years ago.

okay keep at it. it wouldn't hurt to give it a few love taps with a hammer handle.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'm frustarted. It still doesn't work, any suggestions, please....
Expert:  Arench replied 4 years ago.

I gave you all my suggestions. This gear should come off with ease.

I can opt-out of the question with the hope that a different expert can assist you farther.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I do understand, but it's still on the cranshaft. I need it off.
Expert:  Ivan replied 4 years ago.

Hello and good evening. I'm in agreement with Arench. It will slide off, but I have seen them be very stubborn. The key way can be the culprit making it tight to come off. I have a couple of suggestions. If you can get your hands on a propane torch. Screw a couple of bolts into the smaller holes. Put a pair of vice grips onto the end of the bolt. Use the propane torch and heat the sprocket moving around the crankshaft. As you are heating it, try pulling on the vice grips, trying to dislodge the sprocket. You can also try tapping on it while keeping pulling pressure on the vice grip. I know your frustration, but all you need is a fraction of movement to get it off. Give that a shot and see what happens.

Your JA Expert,

Ivan

Expert:  Arench replied 4 years ago.

carb spray is flammable so be prepared for a bit of a flare up if you are going to torch it.

Expert:  Ivan replied 4 years ago.

Yes, I will agree with Arench. Don't use the carb clean and the flame together. Thank you Arench for adding that.

Ivan

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you Arench, thank you Ivan.
I'm not going to torch it. I have cleaned engine before repair with degreaser. I believe I did not hosed it properly (it still smells). I'll buy the vice and bolts (whats the tread?) tomorrow and hope you can wait untill it work.
Expert:  Ivan replied 4 years ago.
Good luck and be patient. It will come off, sometimes you just need to show it whose boss. Let me know if you need more help or have attained success. Have a good night.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Just about the bolts. Could you be more specific? I think it must be metric, but what M4, M5?
Expert:  Ivan replied 4 years ago.
That part I'm not sure of. If the crank pulley has any small bolts that hold it to the sprocket, you may be able to match bolts to those, otherwise, you may have to grab a couple and try to match something up.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Here is a picture of that gear.
If there would three not only two holes which are off the line! Pulling by only two, which are off the line, might be useless because it will create additional unwanted torqe, but I'll try.
Good night.

graphic
Expert:  Ivan replied 4 years ago.
You shouldn't need to apply too much force. The sprocket is not pressed on, it's just stuck on the key way. Use a combination of pulling, and tapping the sprocket lightly with a hammer. It should start to walk. The heat may soften any debris that might be binding as well.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Arench, hi Ivan,

Finally it is out!!!

Thank you both guy's, the most important info I got from you is that this key suppose to go out by fingers.

But developed your idea and I'd like to share it with you, so now you might recommend people the straightway.

But, I wouldn't recommend using any open flame around engine with full gas lines.

Also, two holes at the gear do not help, because they are off the line (the pulling force supposes to be applied along the crankshaft axis).

I used the tap handle which does have a perfectly matching rectangular cross section of its lips. I tithed it using pliers. Then I gently tapped small flat head screwdriver between crankshaft and tap holder.

Let me know if we are even or you feel I should reward you.

Customer.

Expert:  Ivan replied 4 years ago.

Excellent, success is a wonderful thing. If you would like to accept, it's your choice and would be appreciated if you chose to. I'm happy to have helped either way. The rest of the job should be easy for you. Let me know if you need any other assistance as you go.

Ivan

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I feel I found my own solution which have shared with you for free.

Formally I can't push the "Accept" button, because there weren't answers fully satisfied. I'm also hate to click "not satisfied with your Expert".

Thanks,

Customer.

Expert:  Ivan replied 4 years ago.

That's fine, it was a pleasure helping you. Have a great night.

Ivan

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you, I hope we good.

Customer.

Expert:  Ivan replied 4 years ago.

We are, no problem at all. I'm here if you need help in the future.

Ivan