George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ yrs, AAS Automotive Technology, Factory trained Asian specialist

Hyundai Tiburon: 2005 model..only done..the clutch needs replacing

My Hyundai Tiburon 2005 model, has only done 27000 kilometres in 5 years. Amazingly, the clutch needs replacing for the second time. First time it was replaced, was after I had only done 12000 kilometres. The garage are blaming me for the damage, which is a joke! I have been driving for 50 years and have not had any clutch problems. Reading through the forums, I note this clutch problem with the Tiburon is very common, and I gather it has been stopped being produced because of the numerous lawsuits about the clutch. Is this correct?

Hello I will help you with your question,

I have had this complaint several times over the years and usually the double sprung flywheel is the issue. Hyundai has gone to a solid flywheel as a replacement but getting them to warranty it will be next to impossible. You are in Malta I see so I have no idea of the warranty policies there but here in the US there is a 10 year 100000 mile (160,000km) warranty on the drive train components.

Even with the powertrain warranty the clutch is specifically excluded so I have never seen one covered by Hyundai but several dealers have picked up the cost under a "good will" policy for customers that have all their service work done at the dealer and have purchased several cars.

Replacing the flywheel with part number(NNN) NNN-NNNNand a quality disc/pressure plate assembly should give you more life than you have been getting

Let me know if you have further questions about this

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Obviously, clutch will need to be replaced.

However, in the meantime, I can still drive the car.

How can I get the most mileage out of this car, before I get the clutch finally replaced?

Incidentally, The warrantry here in Malta is for 3 years or 100,000 kilometres, whichever occurs first.

Best regards,

So you will be out of warranty unless you can get a "goodwill" adjustment.

These clutches seem to like being let out quickly. If you ease into the gear you will see the wear you have experienced. The flywheel was made in two pieces with springs between them to lessen the shock of the clutch engaging and that seems to be the source of the problem. If the dealer did the first replacement I am suprised that they did not replace the flywheel at that time.

I would drive it until the clutch no longer engages the engine to the transmission or you can no longer shift into gear because the friction material has come off the disc so the clutch cannot release and plan on replacing the flywheel at that time. No further damage will occur by completly wearing the disc material off the disc.

Please let me know what I can do to help you with this

Thank you