david, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Certified Master Technician,Certified in diesel & gasoline engines

Fault codes P0171 and P1171 show for my 1996 SAAB 900 Turbo.

Fault codes P0171 and P1171 show for my 1996 SAAB 900 Turbo. I get Fuel trim system lesn (left bank) and Rotor Sensor Fault (closed loop lean). I need specifics. Thanks, Bruce
Hi thank you for your question hope this helps.

First off the P1171 is a system to lean I am getting this info straight from Saabs repair manual.

P0171 = System Too Lean (Bank 1)
P1171 = lean condition (Closed loop >25%) Indicates a too lean mixture on acceleration

P0171, P1171
Basically this means that an oxygen sensor detected a lean condition (too much oxygen in the exhaust).

First thing to check and most common is all the vacuum lines including the evap lines replace all that are cracked or not hooked up right. Also check the intake gasket because it could have gotten cracks allowing air into the engine. The best way to find a vacuum leak is to use brake cleaner, With the engine running spray all the vacuum lines and the intake manifold, The engine will bod down when the brake cleaner hits a vacuum leak.

If after looking over the lines everything is ok replace both 02 sensors.

Now if after replacing and fixing the vacuum lines and 02 sensors the problem is still there. I have seen were a bad mass air flow (MAF) sensor can be bad sending the wrong info to the PCM but this is vary uncommon.

Hope this helps
Good luck