Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Automotive Engineer
Experience:  30 years experience, Repairing, building, & designing, automobiles.

Bravada: lost power..power and will not rev over 2500rpm..mirage

I have an 03 Bravada that in the last month has lost power and will not rev over 2500rpm, also the gas milage has gone terribly south
Category: Car
Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 4 years ago.
Hi, I will do my best to assist you. When you are finished please click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do. I don't know if you are a pro or a novice so we may have to fine tune the answer. I only know as much about your problem as you have told me in your post, so my answer will be based on what you have posted. Feel free to add any additional info you feel is needed.

I would suspect the MAP sensor. Normally when these fail the vehicle uses way to much fuel, and they engine doesn't want to rev. I would also check the fuel pressure, and change the fuel filter. The map sensor can be tested, but it takes special equipment and knowledge to do the test. You can get a MAP sensor for the Oldsmobile Bravada on the internet starting at about $43, I will include a link below for your reference. link If you have any more questions I am here to help. Good luck, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

Oldsmobile Bravada MAP sensor link

I hope this helps, 100% satisfaction is my goal. If the answer is not clear, please reply and I will assist you more. When you're satisfied, click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do. A bonus and positive feedback are always appreciated, good luck and Thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
exactly what is an map sensor, and where is it located,

The MAP sensor tells the engine computer if the engine is under load or not, and can keep the engine from revving up properly, and normally makes the engine use lots of extra fuel when it is bad. Your MAP sensor is mounted to the intake manifold I believe. I tried to pull up a diagram, but one isn't coming up. Use the link I posted in the last post, and click on the photo of the part and it will enlarge. Knowing what it looks like will help you identify it. It isn't something you should really replace before you test it. If you get a repair manual for the vehicle it will walk you through the test process. If you have any more questions I am here to help. Good luck, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

Dr. Hamman, Automotive Engineer
Experience: 30 years experience, Repairing, building, & designing, automobiles.