Car Whisperer
Car Whisperer, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  8 years professional experience,shop lead for 4 years

1997 lincoln continental: the drivers side..passenger..relays

Customer Question

all electric windows door locks and keyless entry on the drivers side of my 1997 lincoln continental quit working all at once. the passenger windows work fine from the drivers side. the trunk release and fuel filler cap release work fine. the window relays in the door can be heard clicking when the window buttons are pushed. can you tell me whats wrong?
Category: Car
Expert:  Car Whisperer replied 6 years ago.
By your initial symptoms as I understand them, it sounds like you have a bad power window switch on the drivers door (master switch). Just to make sure though, which windows work and from what switch? And which locks don't work? Let me know and I should be able to give you some more definite information. Thanks.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
From the drivers control swithes, the front and rear passenger windows work, the front and rear drivers side do not but the relays in the door can be heard to click when the window down button is pressed. the power locks do not work on either side of the vehicle but again you can here the relays click when the lock switch is depressed. the keyless entry does not work.They all quit at once. It's like the relays are working but no power is getting to the drive units. Could it be a bad ground somewhere?