Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.

Why does my 1987 Oldsmobile stall while driving?

My car started stalling while driving. It will start back up again and keep driving but it will either stall again, act like it will stall, or drive relatively fine. The car seems a bit sluggish while driving however and a few times the engine died while I let the car idle. The vehicle is a 1987 Oldsmobile Regency Ninety-Eight and only has roughly 65,000 miles on it. The fluid levels look fine and I had the fuel filter changed in January....Any advice would be helpful.
what engine do you have?does the engine light come on?if so,can you give me the computer codes?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It says "Sequential V6 Fuel Injection"

and no, there is no engine light (or any indicator light) that comes on once the car is running.

this problem may be the crank sensor,,these may do this when they first start going bad and not give a code

The Crankshaft Position Sensor is located:

Under hood, passenger side, lower engine area, front of crankshaft pulley, mounted in engine block

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Umm, there is something in the general area you described that is covered in an oily residue (dirty, grimey, and black). The serpentish belt goes around the side of it and I can see a barcode sticker from the top....

If that truly is the problem would you be able to tell me what I am looking paying a mechanic to get my car running reliably again?

if it is oily,the problem may be a leaking front main seal and is getting on the crank sensor...a mechanic may charge you 3hrs labor..depending on what the mechanic in your area charges per hour

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The only thing is my car starts fine with no trouble at all and will run. In fact last night (when this started) it stalled about 4 times, each time, coming back on once I put it into to neutral, turn the key, and then back in to drive. After the fourth time it started I drove it roughly 25 minutes to my home and let it idle when it finally died again (after I was home).

The car will start immediately each time I've tried since it's been home but I don't let it idle long enough to have it stall. I am hesitant to do so because of the worry of having whatever is wrong with it get worse and ultimately make more problems....

this problem sounds as if the crank sensor is failing