Car expert
Car expert, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN,30 YRS EXPERIENCE
22989858

My 1990 Plymouth Acclaim 3.0 L V6 stalls 12-13 minutes..cold start

Customer Question

My 1990 Plymouth Acclaim 3.0 L V6 stalls 12-13 minutes after cold start. Starts after a minute or so then runs OK for the rest of the trip ( > 1 Hour). I have checked as much wiring as I can. I know the car enters "closed-loop" after a while. It doesn't seem to depend on distance, temperature or driving conditions, only on time ( almost exactly 12 minutes driving or idling ). After stalling the ASD relay seems to be bouncing, since I can hear the fuel pump pulsing anthe tach bounces wildly. What hapens at 12 minutes to cause a stall? What sensors are polled at close-loop? I also replaced distributer sensor 1.5 years ago.
Category: Car
Expert:  Car expert replied 6 years ago.
Welcome to just answer.com. I'm here to help you and your 100% satisfaction is my goal.If you think there's some sort of fault with the ASD relay Then the easiest thing to do is remove the relay and jump across the power terminals . Then run the vehicle and see if it dies as usual . If it does die as usual , does install when you come to a stop at idle way or is installing while driving down the road at speed ?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ASD relay was replaced. Stalls after 12 minutes wheather driving or sitting in the driveway for 12 minutes.
I understand you replace the ASD relay but I would like to put a jumper wire across it and bypass the relay that way we can see if the relay is being turned off by the PCM. If the car has no troubles with the relay bypassed than a leased we know which direction to look
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
will try that
Okay let me know thank you, XXXXX XXXXX other things that can cause the car to dies such as a faulty EGR valve or a problem with the throttle assembly, or the idle air control. But let's start with this and then we'll move on to some other testing

Edited by SEAN on 6/6/2010 at 10:33 PM EST