JHoop
JHoop, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 Year Engine Builder,16 years as a Tech HvyLine, Suspension, Electrical, Brakes, 6 Year Shop Owner
4700517

Fuel pump does not turn off when engine is shut down. Found

Fuel pump does not turn off when engine is shut down. Found gas cap broken and not sealing. Told by friend that fuel system needs to be pressure up and that is why fuel pump still running. Disconnected battery to turn in off. What to do to reset it? Put fuel in tank (low fuel light was on when I found this problem). Put new gas cap and it is sealing fine. Fuel pump still running. ABS light is also come on. Husband thinks ruunning noise coming more from under the front part of the vehicle. Could it be something to do with the ABS system? Back brakes need changing (squeeling) and going to get them done this afternoon. Is picture you sent that of an Isuzu Ascender engine?
Category: Car
Expert:  JHoop replied 4 years ago.
Hello , my name isXXXXX you for choosing justanswer.com.

The fuel pump relay is sticking. Replace it.graphic
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So it would not have anything to do with the ABS light or system? The ABS light just means the brakes need replacing on back? Is the fuel pump relay expensive or hard to replace?
Expert:  JHoop replied 4 years ago.
The ABS light is a different issue and cannot be related.

The ABS system can only be diagnosed with a scan tool.

The relay is less than 20.00 and just pulls right out.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Husband wants to know why the fuel pump is so loud. Is that an indication that it is bad or going bad?
Expert:  JHoop replied 4 years ago.
It may be a sign that it is wearing out.

If it works, don't fix it.
JHoop, Auto Service Technician
Experience: 14 Year Engine Builder,16 years as a Tech HvyLine, Suspension, Electrical, Brakes, 6 Year Shop Owner
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you. Replaced the fuel pump relay, reconnected the battery but the pump still runs with the engine off. Husband pulled the ABS fuse out and it quit making racket. Is ABS motor messed up instead? What to do

Expert:  JHoop replied 4 years ago.
I'm going to put your question back up and see if anybody else has any info on this. Sorry I couldn't help you further. I'm sure someone will be with you shortly. Thanks again for choosing justanswer! JHoop.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Still waiting for someone to get back with us. Anyone have an idea why the only way to turn off the ABS motor (ABS light on in dash too) is to take out the ABS fuse in the fuse box? Also making the brake light come on as well. Just replaced the back brakes today and front ones fairly new as well so not the regular brakes. They work just fine.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Anyone there?  Heh, the mechanic was going to give the problem to someone else and I have never heard back.  The answer given was the wrong one.  Please read previous replys.  Tried his answer and wasn not it.  It is the ABS system - motor won't turn off.  Not fuel pump like though before.  Where is the ABS relay switch to see if it is stuck?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Anyone there? Heh, the mechanic was going to give the problem to someone else and I have never heard back. The answer given was the wrong one. Please read previous replys. Tried his answer and wasn not it. It is the ABS system - motor won't turn off. Not fuel pump like though before. Where is the ABS relay switch to see if it is stuck?

Dealership mechanic says its an ABS module that has to be replaced because the relay is in the module. Can't just replace it because it has to be programmed to the specific car via computer. The motor running is bolted to the frame in front of the gas tank under the drivers's side door. Is this an ABS motor?

Expert:  JHoop replied 4 years ago.
I see you have not been helped yet.

You told me the fuel pump was running?

I told you how to fix a running fuel pump and I was wrong?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thought was fuel pump and it was not. Did not know till new switch was installed and it did not work. Never mind and keep the money. No need for the last remark. No, did not get any additional help after waiting.
Expert:  JHoop replied 4 years ago.
Removing fuse 33 abs fuse, a 60 amp fuse will disable that pump