Kalamykid
Kalamykid, Shop owner/ Tech.
Experience:  I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q
5629372

I have a 1998 oldsmobile intrigue 3.8l and the transmission

Customer Question

I have a 1998 oldsmobile intrigue 3.8l and the transmission has a trouble code - torque converter clutch solenoid stuck on. I need to either replace the solenoid or clip the wire on the connector that has the control signal to the solenoid. I decided to replace the solenoid, which requires dropping the trannny, so I started taking it apart. One of the bolts holding the tranny to the engine is impossible to reach without pulling the entire engine out of the car. I have been trying to reach that bolt for a month and a half. I have bought every tool known to man, and the bolt is just not reachable, without pulling the engine, and pulling the exhaust manifold. I bought an alldata subscription, and the bolt is bolt #6 in the procedure, and it just says "take it out" like it is no problem, it is the lower transmission bolt on the rear facing side, and all the other bolts go through the transmission, and thread into the engine. This one goes from the engine side and threads into the tranny. I
Category: Car
Expert:  Kalamykid replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
JAMIE :

You do not have to drop the trans out of the car to get to the solenoids. But if you want to pull the trans out to do this job, the bolt you are talking about is the one between the back of the engine and the tube of the trans correct? Look on the end of the trans at the front of the engine, there is a plate there that connects the end of the trans to the engine. Remove this plate and with a long 1/2 in. extinsion and a breaker bar you should be able to go down the side of the engine to get to the bolt you have to remove.

Customer:

I can get at it without taking the tranny out? I need to take the side cover off the tranny, right?

Expert:  Kalamykid replied 6 years ago.
Yes just lower the trans low enough to get the side cover off.