Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor
3195632

oldsmobile bravada: drive cycle

what is the drive cycle for oldsmobile bravada 1996 when the computer has been reset
Category: Car
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

Ok, this is not done by driving a certain number of miles. Instead, it is done by following very specific monitor reset directions. Make sure to do them exactly as described and in the order they are given. The 3rd step in the procedure is what sets the evap system monitors to ready. The below procedure is the only GM procedure for this:

• Cold Start. In order to be classified as a cold start the engine coolant temperature must be below 122°F (50°C) and within 11°F (6°C) of the ambient air temperature at startup.
    Do not leave the key in prior to the cold start or the heated oxygen sensor diagnostic may not run.
  • Idle. The engine must be run for two and a half minutes with the air conditioner on and rear defroster on. The more electrical load you can apply the better. This will test the O2 heater, Passive Air, Purge "No Flow", Misfire, and - if closed loop is achieved- Fuel Trim.
  • Accelerate. Turn off the air conditioner and all the other loads and apply half throttle until 55mph (88km/hr) is reached. During this time the Misfire, Fuel Trim, and Purge Flow diagnostics will be performed.
  • Hold Steady Speed. Hold a steady speed of 55mph (88km/hr) for 3 minutes. During this time the O2 response, air Intrusive, EGR, Purge, Misfire, and Fuel Trim diagnostics will be performed.
  • Decelerate. Let off the accelerator pedal. Do not shift, touch the brake or clutch. It is important to let the vehicle coast along gradually slowing down to 20 mph (32km/hr). During this time the EGR, Purge and Fuel Trim diagnostics will be performed.
  • Accelerate. Accelerate at 3/4 throttle until 55-60mph (88-96 km/hr). This will perform the same diagnostics as in step 3.
  • Hold Steady Speed. Hold a steady speed of 55mph (88km/hr) for five minutes. During this time, in addition to the diagnostics performed in step 4, the catalyst monitor diagnostics will be performed. If the catalyst is marginal or the battery has been disconnected, it may take 5 complete driving cycles to determine the state of the catalyst.
  • Decelerate. This will perform the same diagnostics as in step 5. Again, don't press the clutch or brakes or shift gears
  •  

total time to perform is about 15 minutes. Again, and this is critical, it is not based upon how many miles you drive, but upon doing the above procedure in the exact order described.

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
    Experience: Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor