Brian
Brian, Technician
Experience:  20yrs volvo/saab foreign car service

SAAB 93: Aero..automatic..reliable..I came back out she wouldnt start

Hello sirs - I own a SAAB 93 Aero (automatic) 2000 - very reliable typically and owes me nothing. Yesterday went down to the supermarket and when I came back out she wouldn't start. I thought is was the battery (replaced 2 years ago) so a mate of mine came and we tried to start with jump leads - didn't work. Had a similar issue 2 years ago but a mechanic who happened to be on the scene said battery should be fine if its only 2 years old. And because jump leads didn't work he thinks that confirms that battery is probably fine. He took a look and thinks the AT fluid might be a bit low? There seemed to be some wettness on the pipe coming from this cylinder too indicating there might be a leak? There were no other warning lights flashing on the dashboard (except battery but this only knocks off once car is started I believe) - when starting, all sounds oks the engine is just not 'catching' if you know what I mean. Appreciate any thoughts you guys might have - thank you. Alan
Category: Car
Expert:  Brian replied 4 years ago.

Hi and welcome. Your trans. fluid has nothing to do with no start and the engine needs to be running to check it. If the engine is turning but will not catch it is probably one of 2 things. Ignition cassette (fits over spark plugs) or the fuel pump. You would need to check for spark and fuel to determine which one you need.easiest is to check for spark remove cassette(make sure ignition is off) put a spark plug in one of the coils and have someone turn it over if you see spark then it is probably the fuel pump.If you need further help let me know.

Thanks

Brian

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks Brian. What would the cost be to fit a new fuel pump or ignition cassettes? (approx).
Expert:  Brian replied 4 years ago.

if you have a red cassette $395 if it is black $240 I recommend replace spark plugs as well. this will take about an hour to do. fuel pump you will need to drop fuel take pump is about $250 for just pump and $600 for complete assembly( only dealer will want to use complete assembly) labor would be 3-4 hrs.

Thanks

Brian

Brian, Technician
Experience: 20yrs volvo/saab foreign car service