Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Automotive Engineer
Experience:  30 years experience, Repairing, building, & designing, automobiles.

2005 Scion XB: 30,000 miles, bought..radiator..rebuilt..intermittently

Re 2005 Scion XB, with 30,000 miles, bought at 23,000 as "rebuilt" title after accident where there had been some radiator damage. Note: seller has good reputation for rebuilt titles.
Air conditioner began to work only intermittently, sometimes not at all. Local mechanic found no problem with pressure/leaks, recharged system, and "replaced A/C Hi Press switch/line assy."
Problem not solved. The shop that originally rebuilt the car then replaced compressor. A/C worked until a belt slipped. That was fixed & A/C worked fine for many months.
Now A/C no longer works again. It may (or mostly may not) come on for 1-2 minutes, then car begins to smell bad (like vinegar, old shoes), then A/C stops working, smell goes away.
Today Toyota dealer checked system w/dye and checked wiring, relays, fuses. They say all are OK and want to install a new compressor(@$1391). I'm skeptical. Your opinion? Thank you!!

Hi, I will do my best to assist you. When you are finished please click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do. I don't know if you are a pro or a novice so we may have to fine tune the answer. I only know as much about your problem as you have told me in your post, so my answer will be based on what you have posted. Feel free to add any additional info you feel is needed.

I would be very skeptical because if the compressor was bad it wouldn't come on and cool, then shut down, it should just not cool at all. It is impossible to produce cold air if the compressor isn't working. Also compressors are not an intermittent failure once they shut down, they are done. The problem sounds like a system that is low on freon. If the vehicle was involved in a front collision before it was rebuilt, I would suspect that you may have some hidden damage to the AC condenser. If the compressor is bad the price they gave you is high. Check with Austin Baker Sales in Denton Texas for a compressor if you need one, I seriously doubt that the compressor is bad from the symptoms it has. If you have any more questions I am here to help. Good luck, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

I hope this helps, 100% satisfaction is my goal. If the answer is not clear, please reply and I will assist you more. When you're satisfied, click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do. A bonus and positive feedback are always appreciated, good luck and Thanks.