scottyz, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Master ASE tech, Ford senior master tech

1999 elantra: the transmission down shifts hard..20 minutes

i have a 1999 elantra and the transmission down shifts hard. This problem mainly accurs when the car has been running about 20 minutes. It does not happen all the time, it may happen 1 day and be fine for the next day or so, then it may happen several times in the same day. We replaced the input and output sensor today, but it still happened. We made sure the battery terminals were tight and cleaned all the connections and even put another ground wire on but still happens. Please help me with this one before I spend my life's savings.

HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

The problem with your Elantra is likely in the Kick down servo switch.There are a few service bulletins related to this switch.The most common repair for this problem is replacing the switch on the side of the transmission.