Daryl
Daryl, Shop Owner, Certified Mechanic
Experience:  28 years experience, Master Mechanic
8994801

2000 Olds Alero: check engine light..shakes..accelerate..cylinder

Customer Question

2000 Olds Alero, check engine light on, idles rough, engine shakes when trying to accelerate to fast or when going up hills, tested code P0300, changed plugs and wires. Had a mechanic look at it said I had a cylinder going bad, don't like the sound of that and does not match with the code problems. Any simpler idea?
Category: Car
Expert:  Daryl replied 4 years ago.
The code P0300 is for a cylinder misfire the code does match the bad cylinder diagnosis. If the compression was tested and low it is most likely the problem. If it was not tested what was and how did they come down to the diagnosis they did?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
They said the cylinder tested low but would that cause this problem?
Expert:  Daryl replied 4 years ago.
Low compression is usually caused by bad piston rings or bad valves. Which can be caused by over heating, high mileage, poor maintenance, ect
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I guess I just don't want to pay 1300.00 dollars if there is a chance there is an easier fix. Have had bad experince before. Do you think the cylinder is the problem or do you think there could be an easier fix? I haven't done this before I will pay you but want to keep asking questions. Sorry.
Expert:  Daryl replied 4 years ago.
If the compression is low it is the problem and there is no easy fix for this. On this site you can ask as many follow up questions as you want even after you accept.
Daryl, Shop Owner, Certified Mechanic
Experience: 28 years experience, Master Mechanic
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So why am I getting the P0300 code if it has nothing to do with the cylinder?
Expert:  Daryl replied 4 years ago.

The piston and valves are in the cylinder and if the cylinder is low on compression it is what causes the cylinder to misfire so it sets the misfire code.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I know prices are different everywhere but does 1300.00 sound like an average price for fixing that problem?
Expert:  Daryl replied 4 years ago.
Its hard to say without knowing what they were going to do to fix the problem such as engine replacement, rebuild, or repair and to what extent they were doing a repair if that was what they are doing.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I think they were going to replace the cylinder. They said something about having to send it out to be bored. After they said 1300 I kind of went into shock and stopped listening.
Expert:  Daryl replied 4 years ago.
That would be a engine rebuild so that price is not outrageous, the whole engine would be taken apart and repaired.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your help.

Expert:  Daryl replied 4 years ago.
Thank you and good luck with the repairs.