Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

1988 mitsubishi: petrol..right hand (drivers side..seal..keep blowing

Customer Question

Hi
I have 1988 Mitsubishi Starwagen 2ltr. petrol 4G63 engine. I'm having problems with the right hand (drivers side) counter balance shaft seal it keep blowing out. I had this problem 2 years ago then I have glued it in and it lasted until now. I need to get to the bottom of this can you help me?? Maybe the ouil pressure releave valve not working properly??
Bruno
Category: Car
Expert:  Kiatech replied 4 years ago.

Hi Bruno, Thank you for using JustAnswer.

Have you checked the pressure with a manual gage.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
NO, what should be the pressure and do I have to test it at the pressure switch? It' s a bit har to test when the seal popped out pritty straight away with idling.
Expert:  Kiatech replied 4 years ago.
You have a point there. Are the seals you are using factory seals, or are the after market?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have tried both. There should not be that much pressure there as far as I understnad to just pop it out, maybe it's just the weakest point. I'm thinkin of taking the belt for the shaft out and run the engine without it to see, or maybe even put something over it to be able to measure the pressure.
Expert:  Kiatech replied 4 years ago.
Is the PCV valve clear and working properly?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yep I have just checked that, working OK
Expert:  Kiatech replied 4 years ago.
I'm going to speak with a friend about this in the when i get to work. Its getting late and the wife is on me to shut it down. Ill get with you later today. If that alright with you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thats OK thanks for your help
Bruno
Expert:  Kiatech replied 4 years ago.

Hi Bruno,

Have you though about pulling the shaft and checking for a blockage. If the oil pressure was too high. You would think it would effect more than just that one seal.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I was thinking about that line. I tried to get a drawing of the oil gallery, but no luck on that one, just to fined out where else it should go, so I can try to blow it out I might get the engine to run again and messure the pressure.