transman, automotive instructor
Experience:  28 years exp,complete autmotive diagnostics and repair

service engine light, anti lock light and trac..I start my car..seal

Customer Question

the service engine light, anti lock light and trac off light sometimes comes on when I start my car and stays on, then when I get home after 25 miles and leave the next time it is off and stays off. I had it in the shop and and the scope showed the transmission seal needs replacing. The car runs great otherwise. I got a quote onf $900.00 to fix. I am not sure if I should replace it or run until it stops and junk it. The body is in great shape and otherwise runs great. It is a 2000 Intrigue with 240,000 miles
Category: Car
Expert:  transman replied 6 years ago.
hi, the engine light should have nothing to do with traction control or anti lock they stand by them self if the engine light goes on and sometimes it goes off is possible an upstream 02 sensor failure and as to the traction control and anti lock, because they work together and in the way you describe the problem , it may be an anti lock pump failure its on and sometimes on operation . and it can also be something as simple as a speed sensor, you need to scan the engine controller for the engine light . and you need to scan the anti lock and traction control to find the codes stored that may help diagnose the problem.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
These lights all come on and go off at the same time. Would the things you have mentioned shown up on the diagnostic scope I had done? The brakes work fine when the lights are on. Sometimes there is a slight shift up and down of the around 35 - 40 mph.
Expert:  transman replied 6 years ago.
the engine light may be related to that of the transmission shifting problem and the other two are related to anti lock and traction ,your conventional brakes are going to work fine but you will not have brake assist in case of a skid on whet road or black ice surface, with the scanner you will get a code # XXXXX number will help to identify the problem on both systems you can get any regular auto parts to scan your computer and access the codes stored on it.