Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Automotive Engineer
Experience:  30 years experience, Repairing, building, & designing, automobiles.
9795573

Saab: no avail to find why my 1999 9-3 turbo is leaking coolant fluid

Many mechanics, including certified Saab mechanics, have tried but to no avail to find why my 1999 9-3 turbo is leaking coolant fluid. What can I do, I love the car, but hate the problem?

Hi, I will do my best to assist you. When you are finished please click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do. I don't know if you are a pro or a novice so we may have to fine tune the answer. I only know as much about your problem as you have told me in your post, so my answer will be based on what you have posted. Feel free to add any additional info you feel is needed.

Normally there is two different ways to loose coolant. One is where you have a drip, and you get puddles, and the other is where the coolant just disappears. The methods of finding the leaks are pretty basic. But as you have seen all mechanics are not up to all tasks. In either type of coolant loss the system needs to be pressurized with a cooling system pressure tester. If there is a slow leak this will force it to leak, and the leak can be spotted, and repaired. If the coolant just vanishes you need to have a test that checks for combustion gas in the cooling system. This test will tell you if you have a problem with a head gasket. If you do have this problem, coolant will just vanish with no trace. It is common for a car to overheat with this problem, but often the only sign is coolant consumption. If you have any more questions I am here to help. Good luck, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

I hope this helps, 100% satisfaction is my goal. If the answer is not clear, please reply and I will assist you more. When you're satisfied, click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do. A bonus and positive feedback are always appreciated, good luck and Thanks.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your attempt at answering my question, however you have not found the answer. First of all, pressure testing has already been done and nothing was found. Secondly, coolant is not disappearing as you have suggested. It appears on the ground, so it cannot be a head gasket. I'm afraid that you will have to try again and come up with a better solution if you want to get paid. I'm sorry, but I have already spent a considerable amount of money and I still have the f%#@&* leak.

Pressure testing is the ONLY reliable method to find a leak like this and it is what all the pros do. A pressure test will find any and all leaks if performed by competent professional. The pressure will force the cooling system to leak, this works 100% of the time. All that has to be done from there is for a true pro that cares to find the origin of the leak. In my 35 + years of experience I have repaired dozens of leaks that "couldn't be found" with this method, and have never failed to locate a single one. You said "First of all, pressure testing has already been done and nothing was found" that just means who ever did the test wasn't competent enough, or didn't care enough to locate the leak. Believe me I have heard this story over and over and over again. But there is no such thing as a leak that cant be located with a pressure test done by a competent and dedicated mechanic. Also the head gasket can produce a leak that puddles on the ground, I have seen many. There is no magic here and this really isn't that hard, problems like this are fixed every day. No one is going to be able to tell you where your leak is especially in a Q & A format, it just isn't possible. Only someone with hands on can come through on this. You have been using the wrong person to look for this leak, because they haven't found it. If you have any more questions I am here to help. Good luck, and Thanks for using Just Answer.