Scott, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Ase certified, 24 years, bumper to bumper all makes

2009 Hyundai Accent: manual transmission..RV..all wheels..odometer

Actually, I have a 2009 Hyundai Accent manual transmission which I think is similar. My question is this, I will be towing it behind an RV with all wheels down. The odometer always shows the total miles even with the key off and taken out. If I tow the car 3000 miles, with the key on just enough to unlock the steering wheel, will the miles be added to the odometer? How will this effect my warranty if I go over the miles for the next check up? If this adds miles when towing, can I disconnect the battery while towing?

Category: Car
Expert:  Scott replied 6 years ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will use all of the available technical information at my disposal to assist you with your vehicle concern.

BotXXXXX XXXXXne, if the key is to the on posistion {run posistion} and you see the odometer, it will register. With the key in the unlock Posistion the PCM and the cluster/meter head should be powered down. They will only power up in the on or start posistion.

{See upper right hand of attached diagram}

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the quick response. So, let me get this straight, if the key is only in the unlock position for towing, the tow miles will NOT be added to the odometer, right? I ask, because every time I get into the car I look at the dash and the odometer is showing the total miles even before I put the key in. Someone did tell me that on some cars the odometer digital read out will stay on for a minute or so after turning off the engine and removing the key. They also said, when you open the door, that turns the digital odometer on again. I just need to know if the tow miles will be added to the odometer when towing. I would hate to have 5k driving miles and 20k towing on the odometer and I messed up my warranty because I didn't bring it in for the 10k check up. Thanks for the wiring diagram. I'll check it out, I was an electrician and electronic tech for years, so I won't have a problem reading it. Where can I find the site to down load diagrams like that in the future?

Thanks for your help.

Expert:  Scott replied 6 years ago.
When you opened the door it came to life. Now, I have some Floridians that travel here and spend the summer. Some of them {on their manual cars} drop the neg terminal, just because they are gun shy. I tell them as long as the dash lamps {warning lights} are not on, they should be fine. Guess that is their way of CYA. Only problem w/ that is you loose radio presets. Just an idea if your not convinced. Proof in the pudding... pull it for 5 miles. I am sure you will do fine in posistion one.

Edited by Scott on 6/1/2010 at 7:36 PM EST
Expert:  Scott replied 6 years ago.
Oh, sorry, these diagrams are not available without a subscription or purchasing a series if DVD's Runs about $2500 a year. Just get on here, and we should be able to assist you with what you need.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for your help Scott. I thought of towing it for a few miles myself just to see what would happen, but thought I'd do it the lazy way and ask someone first. Kind of a job getting it out of the yard and hooking up. Will do that next month just before our trip. Have to smog the RV. As for the wiring diagrams, for that kind of money, I'll use my signal tracer and other equipment or contact you guys if I need diagrams. As you can see, I'm lazy and cheap, or just frugal.

Thanks again, signing off for now.

Expert:  Scott replied 6 years ago.

Don, nothing wrong with being "thrifty" Ha ha. Please yell at me if you need something. Just ask for "schmainkman" long story.