John, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician, ASE Certified Service Consultant, 22 years professional experience
19563796

What i can do to rectify or minimize some of this under steer

Customer Question

I have a 2006 Ferrari F430 Spider that I drive on the track quite a bit. The car under steers quite a bit which is common from what I understand. I would like to know what i can do to rectify or minimize some of this under steer? How much negative camber can I set the car for in front? can the rear sway bars be adjusted? If so how stiff should I make them? XXX@XXXXXX.XXX I want the car to to turn in a little better but not be so loose that it becomes dangerous. Tire wear is not a concern. Can we use the Specs from the Challenge car? Is the wheel size a concern? I am using the Factory polished aluminum wheels option with the recommended Corso Rosso tires for the track.
Category: Car
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
Hello

I don't know the suspension layout intimately in your car but here are some things you can try:

Yes, you can tighten the rear bar. And loosen the front bar if there is adjustment for that.
Have the alignment set to 1/8 total toe OUT (1/16 out each side). The stock settings will be a little toe in to help with stability on uneven roads. Toe out will help it turn in sharper. Have you tried adjusting tire pressures? down a pound or two in the front and up a pound or two in the rear. Also, if you have it aligned, have them set the caster (if adjustable) to the maximum setting. This will help gain negative camber when you turn the wheels. You could probably go as much as 1 degree negative on camber. Maybe 1.5 degrees at most but you will have to watch for straight line stability and tire wear.

The tuning will just take time to see what you like and what fits your driving style. Let me know if you already have your alignment specs. I would like to know where you are currently set up.

You can use the Challenge Car Specs if you can achieve them. They may have made some modifications to allow for more adjustment.

Enjoy
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I really need much more specific information than what you have provided. I pretty much know already what you have told me. What i cannot find are the original factory specs on the alignment numbers and then I need a recommendation as to what settings i should change them to.

I would also like someone who is TOTALLY familiar with the suspension of this car and that of the Challenge car so that I may have a more exact and definite answer as to what can and cannot be done.
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
Ok, I will opt out. Good Luck.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Just have someone read both of my messages and have the answer to the questions