Kiatech
Kiatech, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30+ years experience,ASE certified,KIA certified Master Technician,Ford factory trained

how do i change the ignition cylinder in a 2004 suzuki verona?

Customer Question

Category: Car
Expert:  lnsmman58 replied 4 years ago.

Please be sure you are 100% satisfied with my answer before you hit accept! Bonuses and positive feedback is much appreciated!

Hello I'm Scott,

This can be a bit confusing, but if you are mechanically minded I'm sure you can get it done. Here is the procedure for what you are doing. I hope this helps you out.

PATH: Chassis Electrical > Instruments & Switches > Ignition Switch > Removal & Installation

Removal & Installation

CAUTION

This model is equipped with a Supplemental Restraint System (SRS), which uses an air bag. Whenever working near any of the SRS components, such as the impact sensors, the air bag module, steering column, and instrument panel, disable the SRS.

1. Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.

2. Disconnect battery cable.

3. Remove steering wheel and air bag module. Refer to Steering Wheel removal and installation.

4. Remove steering column covers. Remove or disconnect the following:

• The 3 screws from lower cover

• The clip mounting between the upper and lower covers

• The lower steering column cover

• The seal for the clip mounting at the dashboard

• The upper steering column cover

Removing the steering column covers

Removing the steering column covers

5. Remove the contact reel:

• Disconnect the left connector.

• Remove the 4 screws.

• Remove the contact reel.

Removing the contact reel from steering column

6. Remove the ignition switch:

• Disconnect the electrical connector.

• Remove the 2 screws.

• Remove the ignition switch.

Ignition switch removal

Ignition switch removal

To install:

1. Install the ignition switch:

• Position the ignition switch and tighten the 2 screws.

• Connect the electrical connector.

2. Install the contact reel. Tighten the 4 M5 screws to 44 inch lbs. (5 Nm).

3. Install the upper and lower steering column covers. Tighten the screws.

4. Install the air bag and steering wheel. Refer to Steering Wheel removal and installation.

5. Connect the negative battery cable.

1. Remove steering column (1). Refer to Combination Switch for removal procedure.

Remove the steering column

Remove the steering column

2. Using center punch (1), loosen and remove steering lock mounting bolts (2).

NOTE

Use care not to damage aluminum part of steering lock body with center punch.

Remove steering lock mounting bolts

Remove steering lock mounting bolts

3. Turn ignition key to "ACC" or "ON" position and remove steering lock assembly from steering column.

To install:

1. Position oblong hole (1) of steering shaft (2) in the center of hole (3) in column (4).

2. Turn ignition key to "ACC" or "ON" position and install steering lock assembly (5) onto column (4).

3. Now turn ignition key to "LOCK" position and pull it out.

4. Align hub on lock with oblong hole (1) of steering shaft (2) and rotate shaft to assure that steering shaft is locked.

Install steering lock assembly  onto column

Install steering lock assembly onto column

Click to Enlarge
  5. Tighten new bolts (1) until head of each bolt is broken off.

6. Turn ignition key to "ACC" or "ON" position and check to be sure that steering shaft (2) rotates smoothly. Also check for lock operation.

Tighten and break off bolt heads and check steering shaft rotation

7. Install steering column. Refer to Combination Switch for installation procedure.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hello

This is a very good answer to my question. However on a 2004 Suzuki Verona the ignition switch is not on the steering column next to the steering wheel. The ignition switch is in the dash.

Thanks Jim

Expert:  lnsmman58 replied 4 years ago.

Hmmmmm, well thats all I have. I'll opt out and see another tech will have the info you need. don't reply back or the question will stay locked to me. Thanks for using JA.

Scott

Expert:  Kiatech replied 4 years ago.

graphicHi Jim, my name is XXXXX XXXXX going to try and help you out.This should be what you need.

Key Cylinder Removal and Installation
Notes

Key Cylinder

Removal

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.

graphic

1. Remove the upper and the lower steering column cover panel by removing the screws.

graphic

1. Remove the audio system trim plate and audio to allow enough working space for the removal of instrument cluster trim panel screws.
  2. Remove the instrument panel under cover.
  3. Remove the knee bolster.

graphic

1. Remove the instrument cluster trim panel.

graphic

1. Remove the steering column jacket assembly securing bolts and nuts.
  2. Set the ignition key to ACC position.

graphic

1. Remove the key cylinder by pushing the disassemble button and pulling out the key, at the same time.

Installation

1. Set the ignition key to ACC position.

graphic

1. Install the key cylinder by pushing it into the key cylinder housing.

1. Install the steering column jacket assembly securing bolts and nuts. Tighten: Tighten the steering column jacket assembly securing bolts and nuts to 22 Nm (16 ft. lbs.) .
  2. Install the instrument cluster trim panel.
  3. Install the instrument panel under cover.

graphic

1. Install the knee bolster.

graphic

1. Install the audio system trim plate.
  2. Install the upper and the lower steering column cover panel. Tighten: Tighten the upper and the lower steering column cover panel screws to 2.5 Nm (22 inch lbs.) .

graphic

1. Connect the negative battery cable.

If you are satisfied with my answer please click Accept or click Reply if you need more help.

Thank you,

Tony

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your answer. While waiting for the information, I went to suzukipitstopplus.com. that is where I found the information I needed.

Thank You

Jim

Expert:  Kiatech replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for using JustAnswer.