Kalamykid
Kalamykid, Shop owner/ Tech.
Experience:  I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q
5629372

air conditioning system..tank..need to add oil besides the refrigerant

I have to add 134a to an air conditioning system. I have a 30lb tank of 134a. Is there any need to add oil besides the refrigerant? The system is pretty low on refrigerant. it blows warm air. I have a set of gauges also.
Category: Car
Expert:  Kalamykid replied 4 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-What year is your Car?
-What make and model is your Car?
-How many miles are on your Car?
-What type of engine is in your Car?
-What have you already tried?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It is a 99 tahoe, but I need the answer to apply to every 134a system. I just need to know if there is a need to add oil when adding refrigerant to a 134a system. I am getting mixed opinion on this and need an expert answer.
Expert:  Kalamykid replied 4 years ago.
As freon carries the oil through the system then you will loose some oil if the freon is leaking out. So yes you should always add 2 oz. of pag oil to the system before you recharge it. If there is a big leak then you should add 4 oz.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
that brings me to my next question. how would I go about adding 2 oz of oil?
Expert:  Kalamykid replied 4 years ago.
Your local auto parts store will have a can that has a yellow label with a blue top on it. there is 2 oz. of oil and there is dye with a small amount of 134a in the can. All you have to do is pull the clear cap off of the blue end and stick it on the low side port with the air turned on and the engine running. Then you can connect your a/c gages to the high and low ports and make sure the low side does not go below 30 and the high side does not get over 250. Make sure NOT to open the high side valve at the gages with the engine running and the a/c on.
Expert:  Kalamykid replied 4 years ago.
ONLY add freon to the low side port.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK. what is that can called exactly? my auto parts store delivers to me, so what exactly should I ask for? Thanks.
Expert:  Kalamykid replied 4 years ago.

I hate to say it but I always just grab the can, and do not remember what the name is. If you describe the can they should be able to get you the right thing.

Kalamykid, Shop owner/ Tech.
Experience: I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK. I will do exactly that. Thanks a lot for your help.