Jan Andersson
Jan Andersson, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  20 years of automotive repair & modification, USA, Asian, Euro, old & new cars. Porsche technician.

2003 eclipse: timing belt..v6..I saw a kit for $417.00 with cam seals

Customer Question

I need to replace the timing belt in my 2003 Eclpse v6 .How many other components need to be replaced at the same time ? Can it be done with the engine in the car , or pulled out ? I saw a kit for $417.00 with cam seals ,tensioners ,belts, ETC . Doesn't look like much room to work in . I've done an Isuzu Rodeo v6 twice , is this much harder ? The car has 122,000 miles on it . Just bought it . Don't know the history, but Carfax shows 1 owner.Please give me step by step instructions of the process.Thank you.
Category: Car
Expert:  Jan Andersson replied 4 years ago.

I would replace everything that generally could wear out or weaken with age: Definitely the tensioner, idler pulley, and the water pump. The pump is cheap to do now, it will be much more expensive to do the water pump separately in just 5k miles...you never know. Imagine the frustration of having to do the same work again to get to it. Not to mention cost, if you have to have a shop do it.

Pay close attention to the timing marks of course. I dont' have a manual handy for details, but I would recommend getting one to see if there is a certain procedure for doublechecking the belt... like turn the engine over two full rotations and verify that all the marks are still lined up right. (taking up all the slack in the belt)

Here are a couple of diagrams that may help you too

graphicgraphic

And here's a blog article covering the V6 mitsu timing belt.. it's a little generic, since the same engine is used in so many other cars. But all in all, yes the belt can be done without pulling the engine :) You may need to remove some junk out of the way, like the radiator and fan assembly.

http://www.denlorstools.com/autoblog/2009/09/mitsubishi-2-5-3-0-3-5-3-8-water-pump-or-timing-belt-replacement/

Edited by Jan Andersson on 6/1/2010 at 2:39 AM EST
Jan Andersson, ASE Master Tech
Experience: 20 years of automotive repair & modification, USA, Asian, Euro, old & new cars. Porsche technician.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
One more related question : how to replace the Cam and crankshaft seals . Do they pry out and get tapped back in ? are the cam gears keyed in place , do you need to keep them in a certain alignment when R&R ? It seems you could really throw off the timing .
I haven't gone this deep in one but yes the sprockets are keyed, they go on only one way.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What about the seals ?

I haven't done the seals and I don't have a manual available to me right now, so I honestly don't know for sure. Sorry. I can try to find out later today but right now I have to leave. Not sure when I'll be back.