Randall C
Randall C, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  32 years Foreign / Domestic Cars All aspects of Diag and Repair
13677702

1992 Oldsmobile 88: hood..garage..was a head gasket leaking oil

My 1992 Oldsmobile 88 is smoking from under the hood. I took it to a garage and they said it was a head gasket leaking oil. And that it would be 900 dollars to fix. Does this all sound correct? Also, if this is correct, would using a head gasket sealer fix the problem?
Hello, I jst added up what our shop would charge and I come up with around $750 to replace both headgaskets. the problem is I am not there to confirm headgaskets. it is possible for headgaskets to leak oil but very rare on this engine. More commonly would be valve cover gaskets leaking oil, running down onto the exhaust manifolds and causing buring and smoke. the valve covers on this engine were prone to leaking. I will say in 30 years i do not remember replacing headgaskets on this engine for oil leaks. It can happen and you may? have that case. Second opionion may be needed. Big difference in price from valve covers to headgaskets. If headgaskets on this engine are bad enough to leak oil externally, i can ssume they are bad enough to allow coolant into a cylinder and burn water cauing steam out tailpipe. Oil ports through the head do run close to edgeof head/block so if a ghasket fails it can? leak oil but i have not run into this yet.
Sealers are designed to stop coolant leaks due to bad headgasket. NOT oil leaks form headgasket. No.. a sealer will not work
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok maybe I misunderstood them saying it was leaking oil, but im pretty sure. Do head gaskets cause smoke from under the hood. And its quite a bit of smoke, not just a little. Also, if it is the head gaskets, and theyre leaking coolant, not oil, would you reccomend using a head gasket sealant? I was reading about some, and they seem like they may work but i dont know. I do know that this car isnt worth 700 dollars to fix the headgaskets if they are broke so I need another solution. And I will definitely take it somewhere else for a second opinion. Thanks!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok maybe I misunderstood them saying it was leaking oil, but im pretty sure. Do head gaskets cause smoke from under the hood. And its quite a bit of smoke, not just a little. Also, if it is the head gaskets, and theyre leaking coolant, not oil,  would you reccomend using a head gasket sealant? I was reading about some, and they seem like they may work but i dont know. I do know that this car isnt worth 700 dollars to fix the headgaskets if they are broke so I need another solution. And I will definitely take it somewhere else for a second opinion. Thanks!
Lets say it is coolant leaking from headgasket. If there is a lot of smoke, this means it could be a rtaher severe leak etc.. Stop leak chemicals just do not work that well to solve headgasket leaks of large size, There are lots of adverisments for leak stop and yes, in some cases they do work but.. my feeling is it may not. I have not seen one work that well yet. You can surely try it. Aolt less 4 if it works. I just wanted you to be prepared if it does not