Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Automotive Engineer
Experience:  30 years experience, Repairing, building, & designing, automobiles.

elantra: my tail radio..blew..i changed the alternator

Customer Question

i started having problems with my elantra about 7 mos ago when they fixed my airbag issue afetr that my tail lights would not work some times then just 2 weeks ago on my way to work my radio stopped , my headlights blew and it jolted and died. i tried to turn it over again but no luck. i changed the alternator and checked the battery. now i was told it could be faulty wiring help what do i do
Category: Car
Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 6 years ago.

Hi, I will do my best to assist you. When you are finished please click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do. I don't know if you are a pro or a novice so we may have to fine tune the answer. I only know as much about your problem as you have told me in your post, so my answer will be based on what you have posted. Feel free to add any additional info you feel is needed.

There is a main power feed wire that distributes power throughout the system. Odds are it has lost connection. You should start at the battery and clean the battery terminals, even if they look good. Clean them with a wire brush, and reinstall the terminals. See if that helps. From there follow the main battery wires and clean any junctions as good as possible. After this point it gets real deep and you would need an electrical schematic to proceed. The problem will most likely be small, and will probably be a break in the wires. This can be tough if you are not a wiring pro. It may be something you will need to have repaired. I say this because I don't know your experience, and this is beyond the scope of all but the most experienced DIY auto repair people. If you have any more questions I am here to help. Good luck, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

I hope this helps, 100% satisfaction is my goal. If the answer is not clear, please reply and I will assist you more. When you're satisfied, click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do. A bonus and positive feedback are always appreciated, good luck and Thanks.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i have cleaned the terminals to the battery and followed the wiring to every connection post i could visibly see i have found no breaks or loose wires nor have there been any signs of a blown fuse can you elaborate a little more please