Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Automotive Engineer
Experience:  30 years experience, Repairing, building, & designing, automobiles.

1993 oldsmobile: my air..My mechanic..air flow..heater

I have a 1993 Olsmobile Ceira, and my air conditional blows cold, but hardly blows out ever set on max. My mechanic said that the fan is working correctly. He said maybe something in the dash is blocking the air flow, but that doesn't ound right to be since I don't have any problem when using the heater. When can cause the air flow to be so low when using the air conditional?
Category: Car
Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 6 years ago.

Hi, I will do my best to assist you. When you are finished please click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do. I don't know if you are a pro or a novice so we may have to fine tune the answer. I only know as much about your problem as you have told me in your post, so my answer will be based on what you have posted. Feel free to add any additional info you feel is needed.

OK I know you don't want to hear this but here we go. Normally it is dirt built up on the evaporator, that accumulates over the years. The air conditioner has to blow air through the evaporator, and the heater does not. Regardless the AC unit will have to come out for an inspection to fix this type of problem. There are other possibilities, but they all involve the removal of the AC unit. These were not made with service ease in mind, and are tough to work on. If you have any more questions I am here to help. Good luck, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

I hope this helps, 100% satisfaction is my goal. If the answer is not clear, please reply and I will assist you more. When you're satisfied, click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do. A bonus and positive feedback are always appreciated, good luck and Thanks.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Could it be blockage in the firewall?