Tim West
Tim West, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Service Manager for Bridgstone/ Firestone

2004 mitsubishi galant: torque..tightening..2.4l..head bolts

what is the head bolt torque and the tightening sequence for a 2004 mitsubish galant with a 2.4l. can i reuse my head bolts
Category: Car
Expert:  Tim West replied 4 years ago.
Good evening. is there anything else?

graphic

1. Use special tool MB991654 to tighten the cylinder head bolts in the following procedures.
  1. Tighten the bolts to 78 ±2 Nm (58 ±1 ft. lbs.) in the order shown.
  2. Loosen the bolts fully in the reverse sequence to that shown.
  3. Tighten the bolts to 20 ±2 Nm (15 ±1 ft. lbs.) in the order shown.

graphic

1. Apply a paint mark to the heads of the cylinder head bolts and cylinder head, then tighten 90 degree angle as shown. CAUTION:
    • The bolt is not tightening sufficiently if the tightening angle is less than a 90 degree angle.
    • If the tightening angle exceeds the standard specification, remove the bolt and start over from step 1.
  1. Tighten in a 90 degree angle as shown in the instructions of the figure, then check to see that the paint mark on the head of the cylinder head bolts and the paint mark on the cylinder head is on a linear line.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
so you tighten to 58 ft. lbs. completly loosen then tighten to 15 ft lbs and can i reuse my head bolts
Expert:  Tim West replied 4 years ago.
Yes, you can reuse the head bolts graphicApply oil as shown.
Check that the nominal length of each cylinder head bolt meets the limit. If it exceeds the limit, replace the bolts with a new one. Limit (A): 99.4 mm (3.91 inches)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
what should the final torque on the head bolts the diagram is confusing do i just turn it 90 degrees twice after retorqing it to 15 ft/ lbs and should the final torque be 58 ft lbs
Expert:  Tim West replied 4 years ago.
There is no "final torque number"

it's torque to 58
loosen
torque to 15
then retighten another 90 degrees. as shown in the picture.
Does this make sense?
Tim West, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Certified Service Manager for Bridgstone/ Firestone