Kalamykid, Shop owner/ Tech.

2002 lincoln continental: Car died when driving.

2002 lincoln continental. Car died when driving. Started the car with a jumper and when i took the cales off the jumper the car died. SO i figured it was a bad alternator. I replaced the alternator, charged the battery. Ran car for 15 min and it died again eating all the juice from the battery and jumper. I checked voltage from NEW alternator with another battery to start and run the car and it was still producing zero votls.. what can be the problem?
Chat Conversation Started

Did you check the alt. fuse in the fuse box under the hood?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

i checked all fuses and they seemedd to be fine but i can check again. il be back in 2 min.

Chat Conversation Started

it will be a 175 amp mega fuse marked generator.

It is on the out side of the fuse box not in it.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
how doi check it- ye i juct looked in owner manual and the voltage fuse is the 175 amp one on the side._ does it pull out?

I believe it is bolted in with a screw on each end of it. Use a test light or a multi meter to see if you have voltage to both sides. If you do not then replace the fuse.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
okay ill check now..
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i checked with the volt meter with jumoer and battery hookep up and there was 0 volts, but to double check il take off the fuse and see it,
there should have been voltage to at least one side of the fuse. Was there ?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i took off the fuse, hooked up one terminal, then a wire and bulb and then to light bulp another terminal and the light works so the fuse is in good working order... has to be some other electrical problem..

Do you have voltage to one side of the fuse holder?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
any idea since the fuse works 100%

With the fuse out, do you have 12 volts to either of the two legs the fuse goes to?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
sorry my computor just randomly shut off. ill go check the voltage across fuse terminals without fuse.
I am sorry i am not aloud to call you. We will have to work on this here on just answer as I would loose my job if I called you.
See if you have voltage to all three wires to the alt. There is one that is bolted to the back of the alt. and goes to the 175 amp fuse, One is yellow with a with strip that goes to the 7th up on the right side of the fuse box above the 175 amp fuse you just tested. The third wire that is a red with a green stripe goes to the fuse in the fuse box under the dash in the upper right hand corner and should be a 10 amp fuse. Check both of the fuses then with the key on see if you have voltage to all three wires. If you have good fuses and do not have power to the wires on the alt. then you have a short in the wire. The ford alt. wires are bad about burning in two, so check them good for a short.

Did you find your short?