Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Automotive Engineer
Experience:  30 years experience, Repairing, building, & designing, automobiles.

jeep grand wagoneer: Air conditioner (freon..freon leaked..refrigerant

old AMC Jeep grandwagoneer 1986. Air conditioner (freon based) not working;
my hypothesis: freon leaked out;

easy suggestion to test hypothesis
can this system be converted to new refrigerant system economically
Category: Car
Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 6 years ago.

Hi, I will do my best to assist you. When you are finished please click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do. I don't know if you are a pro or a novice so we may have to fine tune the answer. I only know as much about your problem as you have told me in your post, so my answer will be based on what you have posted. Feel free to add any additional info you feel is needed.

Dont convert it, because the new R134A freon everyone is converting to requires a conversion kit, and then you have to flush out the oil, and totally replace with a new type oil with a different base, the new oil is PAG or (Polyalkylene Glycol) Also the R134a leaks out easier than the old R12, because the molecules in it are smaller. Also it doesn't cool quite as good as R12. What you need to do is to use a product called Freeze 12, it is a direct replacement for the old R12 freon your system is designed for and it works even better than the R12 it was designed to replace. I will post a link below where you can get some, you may even be able to get some locally.

If you want to check for leaks spray a little soapy water on the lines and connections. Put some soapy water in a spray bottle like an old Windex bottle. Pressurize the system, and check it. If you have access to a vacuum pump like you use on AC systems you can open the low side with the AC on and it will draw in air. and you can use air instead of freon to pressurize it for a leak check. If you do this you will need to evacuate the system with a vacuum pump to remove the air and any moisture present. If you have any more questions I am here to help. Good luck, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

Freeze 12 Link

I hope this helps, 100% satisfaction is my goal. If the answer is not clear, please reply and I will assist you more. When you're satisfied, click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do. A bonus and positive feedback are always appreciated, good luck and Thanks.