Amedee, Former ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

1998 Isuzu Trooper: a/c compressor..diagrams..exploded

Customer Question

how do you remove and replace the a/c compressor in a 1998 Isuzu Trooper with instructions and diagrams (exploded views if available)1998 only made this model for three years
Category: Car
Expert:  brownjeff replied 6 years ago.

1. Disconnect the battery ground cable.
  2. Discharge and recover refrigerant
  3. Disconnect magnetic clutch harness connector.

1. Remove drive belt.
    • Move drive belt tensioner to loose side using wrench then remove drive belt.
  1. Disconnect refrigerant line connector.
    • When removing the line connector, the connecting part should immediately be plugged or capped to prevent foreign matter from being mixed into the line.
  1. Remove compressor.

1. Install compressor.
    • Tighten the compressor fixing bolts to the specified torque. Torque: 19 N.m (14 lb.ft)
  1. Connect refrigerant line connector.
    • Tighten the refrigerant line connector fixing bolts to the specified torque. Torque: 15 N.m (11 lb.ft)
    • O-rings cannot be reused. Always replace with new ones.
    • Be sure to apply new compressor oil to the O-rings when connecting refrigerant lines.
  1. Install drive belt.
    • Move serpentine belt tensioner to loose side using wrench, then install serpentine belt to normal position.
  1. Connect magnetic clutch harness connector.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
not enough info ,does the compressor come through the foont,top or bottom?what has to be removed to gain access to thr compressor
Expert:  brownjeff replied 6 years ago.
This is all the information I have on it. Hang on I will see if someone else has more.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
OK waiting for more something definately has to come out first
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.

New Expert here!

Brown Jeff has given you great detail on how to remove and replace the AC compressor.

The AC compressor will need to come out from underneath the vehicle. You may need ot remove a skip plate or a engine cover underneath the motor to gain access to the AC compressor.

Edited by AMEDEE on 5/22/2010 at 4:46 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
skip plates are off,there is still no acess to tho compressor mount,also there is not enough room to drop the compressor down without removeing the oil filter ,oil pump and mucho wireingis inthe way. Can the compressor come through the front if the fan shroud and raideator are removed:?
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.
I suppose it would be worth a try. Its either that or remove the the power steering pump above it and remove it from the top.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'll let you know.give me about two hours.
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.
Sounds good!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
remove front grill to acess filter drier,remove belt,upper radiator hose,fan shroud,fan blade,power steering pump pulley,drivers side front tire to acess rear bolts for p/s &a/c brackets remove power steering pump & bracket,remove a/c hoses at blocks both high &low side,slide compressor dforward to remove last bolt in bracket,unbolt rear a/c bracket,turn and lift a/c compressor&bracket together with hose block still atached to compressor........reverse to time about 7.5 hours
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.
YUP! THats one way to do it.

It only calls for about 3.0 hours labor to replace the compressor according to my labor guide. But there are several different ways you could go about replacing it.

Anyway, glad to hear that it is done!

I DO hope you found my Answer to be helpful regarding your vehicles condition. IF SO-please hit **ACCEPT** as you read this Answer, in order that I may receive credit for my time, thanks. BONUSES & Positive Feedback Most appreciated!
Please Note: I receive ZERO Credit until & unless you choose to ACCEPT my well thought-out Answer.