Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Automotive Engineer
Experience:  30 years experience, Repairing, building, & designing, automobiles.
9795573

The difference was between acrylic paint and acrylic enamel auto paint

What's the difference was between acrylic paint and acrylic enamel auto paint. I know acrylic is water base and enamel is oil base, so is acrylic enamel water + oil base. If so how come the paint can bond to that oil and not the oil base primer?
Category: Car
Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 4 years ago.

Hi, I will do my best to assist you. When you are finished please click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do. I don't know if you are a pro or a novice so we may have to fine tune the answer. I only know as much about your problem as you have told me in your post, so my answer will be based on what you have posted. Feel free to add any additional info you feel is needed.

Acrylic, simply means the paint is based on a plastic. There are water, oil, and solvent based versions of Acrylic paint. The chemistries are way different, but they all have plastic bases, and that is the only common link. Also enamel is sort of a sales slogan more than a technical term. It is meant to insinuate that the paint is similar to vitreous enamel, which is fired in a kiln. Vitreous enamel is similar to porcelain. Vitreous enamel is also super tough, and super shinny, so tying a paint product to something that is much tougher is a marketing ploy that caught on and the paint industry kept.

Oil based primers in general are not problems, unless you put a paint on top of them like automotive acrylic enamel, or lacquer. Both of these have super volatile petroleum distillate base solvents that attack an oil based primer, they will do the same thing to oil based primer that paint remover will. Sherwin Williams makes some industrial enamels that will go over oil based primer, but the quality is way lower than automotive paints. If you have any more questions I am here to help. Good luck, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

I hope this helps, 100% satisfaction is my goal. If the answer is not clear, please reply and I will assist you more. When you're satisfied, click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do. A bonus and positive feedback are always appreciated, good luck and Thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

So is the oil based version of the acrylic paint the same as saying "acrylic enamel"?

When you say industrial enamels, do you mean industrial 'acrylic' enamels?

Thanks

Remember Enamel is just a marketing label with very little meaning as far as the chemistry and quality of the paint, so it is hard to identify anything the term is attached to, other than recognizing a product/brand you have previously used. So just think of enamel as generally being a paint that will shine when it is applied, once it is dried. There are exceptions to this rule being enamels with additives that prevent the shine, like semi gloss and flat. So enamel is a very confusing term in paint, and it is mostly a marketing term. For an example you can go to Sherwin Williams, and buy their Industrial Acrylic Enamel, and it is as different as night and day from automotive acrylic enamel. The only similarities is the will both shine when applied, and they are not lacquer.

You asked

If it was meant to shine it would probably be marketed as enamel, or it could just be called oil based acrylic paint. Remember enamel is a marketing term.

You asked

"If it was meant to shine and acrylic it would probably be marketed as enamel, or it could just be called oil based acrylic paint. Remember enamel is a marketing term. "

If you have any more questions I am here to help. Good luck, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

I hope this helps, 100% satisfaction is my goal. If the answer is not clear, please reply and I will assist you more. When you're satisfied, click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do. A bonus and positive feedback are always appreciated, good luck and Thanks
.

Edited by Dr. Hamman on 5/21/2010 at 6:32 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Okay I see that part, but why can't acrylic enamel go over oil base enamel/primer. Thanks much

If you are talking about automotive acrylic enamel, it will attack the oil base enamel/primer just like paint remover would. The primer would wrinkle up and peel off with the new paint on top of it. You can put Industrial enamel or Industrial arcylic enamel over the oil base enamel/primer most of the time and get away with it. Normally you should use a set of paints and primers that are made to work with each other. If you don't the results can be unpredictable. If you have any more questions I am here to help. Good luck, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I mean if acrylic enamel could be called oil based acrlyic paint, then why can't the oil in the oil based acrylic paint bond to the oil in the oil based enamel paint? Thank you

It isn't a bonding issue, it is an attacking issue where one paint attacks a base coat primer. Most oil based paints will work on oil based primers, BUT no automotive paints are oil based.

Enamels are strange sometimes because of the attacking issue. Like if you spray Dupont Centauri Acrylic enamel on a car, you have to wait two years before you can spray more of the same paint on top of it. If you don't wait the two years, the new coat of paint will destroy the original paint and it will look like you put paint remover on it.

BotXXXXX XXXXXne is you have to use compatible products, it doesn't matter what they are marketed as, they have to be compatible. If you use off brands you get unpredictable results. You can make a test piece on a piece of scrap, and spray some primer on and spray some paint over it you want to use, and see if they are compatible with each other.

The only time you will get into a bonding issue is when you try to put water based paint over oil based primer or paint. Then it wont bond well. If you have any more questions I am here to help. Good luck, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

Edited by Dr. Hamman on 5/21/2010 at 7:48 AM EST
Dr. Hamman, Automotive Engineer
Experience: 30 years experience, Repairing, building, & designing, automobiles.