Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Automotive Engineer
Experience:  30 years experience, Repairing, building, & designing, automobiles.

2003 Suzuki Aerio: faster..Recently had rear tire replaced

Customer Question

2003 Suzuki Aerio begins to vibrate hard while driving faster. More speed more vibration. Recently had rear tire replaced with new tire. Problem began today while driving, and became progressively worse. Unable to drive car due to the problem as it seems unsafe.
Category: Car
Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 6 years ago.

Hi, I will do my best to assist you. When you are finished please click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do. I don't know if you are a pro or a novice so we may have to fine tune the answer. I only know as much about your problem as you have told me in your post, so my answer will be based on what you have posted. Feel free to add any additional info you feel is needed.

Normally when this happens the problem is a broken belt in the tire. If this happens the tire isn't perfectly round any more, and it can shake the car violently. When it starts it can be a very small vibration, and it can progress until it literally feels like it is going to shake the car apart. A tire with a broken belt almost always blows out when it finally totally fails, so it is a big safety hazard. If you want to check it yourself the best way to check for this is to jack up the car until the tire is just off of the ground, like if you were going to change the tire, then rotate the tire by hand. Spin it fast and watch the tread of the tire. When you find the bad tire it will not be round, and will have a large gradual lump in it. If you locate the bad tire just install the spare tire and it should drive fine, then go get a replacement tire.

You can also drive slowly in a parking lot and have someone walk beside your car, and watch the tread, the problem should be obvious. Do this for all 4 tires. Now you can always take it down to a tire shop, but you should avoid driving it. If you do have to drive it keep your speed under 30 MPH or slower if at all possible. If you have any more questions I am here to help. Good luck, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

I hope this helps, 100% satisfaction is my goal. If the answer is not clear, please reply and I will assist you more. When you're satisfied, click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do. A bonus and positive feedback are always appreciated, good luck and Thanks.