Kiatech
Kiatech, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30+ years experience,ASE certified,KIA certified Master Technician,Ford factory trained

2005 suzuki forenza: oil leak..oil filter..assembly..gasket

2005 suzuki forenza. oil leak from front cover just above oil filter assembly. where can i get a manual or help to remove the cover and replace the gasket? Im capable to do the work but i need a manual to help with the repair. Thanks Richard Havener. XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Category: Car
Expert:  Kiatech replied 4 years ago.

Hi JACUSTOMER-vuiqmhvc, Thank you for using JustAnswer.

Does it look like its coming from behind the timing cover?

Expert:  Kiatech replied 4 years ago.

Hi JACUSTOMER-vuiqmhvc,

Take a look at this exploded view of the engine. Is it coming from # XXXXX the oil pump housing?graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My buddy saw the leak and said the front eneine cover. I have the timing belt cover off and the leak is not visable. He thinks the leak may be a gasket leaking. He is a lot more knowledgeable than I am. The oil apears to be running down from the leak on to the oil filter around the filter gasket. I thought the oil filter was leaking so I replaced it to no avail.
I asked him to come by and take a look at it. By myself when I would start the engine and get under the car the leak was large enough that I thought it was the filter. With the oil cleaned up and him watching as soon as I started it up he could see running down from the cover and on to the filter. I hope this helps. Richard
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'm not sure. Is the #39 gasket between the block and #37 oil pump? Also does the filter attach to the right side of the pump? If so I think it may be in the gasket. If so can the pump be removed with the engine in the car? Richard
Expert:  Kiatech replied 4 years ago.

Yes 39 is the gasket. The filter adapter is part of the oil pump housing.The oil pump can be removed with the engine in the car. You have to remove the oil pan. Timing belt and rear cover then the pump. But before you do that, pull the upper timing cover and check the cam seals. They could be leaking in behind the timing cover and running down. But if you need to pull the pump i can upload all the info you need.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I think it is the pump. I would really appreaciate the information. I have the front timing belt cover off and everything is clean and dry. This little car only has 49,000 miles and is in good shape. My son in law drove to springfield Il (about 30 miles) and the leak developed all of a sudden. Has Suzuki had any problems like this or could it be a one time thing.
Thank you so much for your help. There are no chilton manuals for this car and Iwas at a lose for help. Thanks again.Richard
Expert:  Kiatech replied 4 years ago.

If its ok with you i will have everything for you by 11:30PM EST

Kiatech, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 30+ years experience,ASE certified,KIA certified Master Technician,Ford factory trained
Expert:  Kiatech replied 4 years ago.

Here ya go, a few min late.

Timing Belt Removal and Installation
Removal

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Disconnect the Manifold Air Temperature (MAT) sensor connector.
  3. Disconnect the air cleaner outlet hose from the throttle body.

graphic

1. Disconnect the breather tube from the camshaft cover.
  2. Remove the air cleaner housing bolts.
  3. Remove the air cleaner housing.
  4. Remove the right front wheel.

graphic

1. Remove the right front wheel well splash shield.
  2. Remove the serpentine accessory drive belt.
  3. Remove the crankshaft pulley bolts.
  4. Remove the crankshaft pulley.

graphic

1. Remove the right engine mount bracket.
  2. Remove the front timing belt cover bolts.

graphic

1. Remove the front timing belt cover.

graphic

1. Using the crankshaft gear bolt, rotate the crankshaft clockwise until the timing mark on the crankshaft gear is aligned with the notch at the bottom of the rear timing belt cover.

graphic

1. Align the camshaft gears with the notch on the camshaft cover.
  2. Remove the timing belt.

graphic

1. Loosen the automatic tensioner bolt. Turn the hex-key tab to relieve belt tension. Installation

graphic

1. Align the timing mark on the crankshaft gear with the notch on the bottom of the rear timing belt cover.

graphic

1. Align the timing marks on the camshaft gears, using the intake gear mark for the intake gear and the exhaust gear mark for the exhaust gear.

graphic

1. Install the timing belt.
  2. Turn the hex-key tab in a clockwise direction to tension the belt. Turn until the pointer aligns with the notch.
  3. Install the automatic tensioner bolt. Tighten: Tighten the automatic tensioner bolt to 25 Nm (18 ft. lbs.) .
  4. Rotate the crankshaft two full turns clockwise using the crankshaft pulley bolt.

graphic

1. Recheck the automatic tensioner pointer.
  2. Install the front timing belt cover.
  3. Install the front timing belt cover bolts. Tighten: Tighten the front timing belt cover bolts to 6 Nm (53 inch lbs.) .

graphic

1. Install the right engine mount bracket.
  2. Install the crankshaft pulley.
  3. Install the crankshaft pulley bolts. Tighten: Tighten the crankshaft pulley bolts to 20 Nm (15 ft. lbs.) .
  4. Install the serpentine accessory drive belt.
  5. Install the right front wheel well splash shield.
  6. Install the right front wheel.
  7. Install the air cleaner housing.

graphic

1. Install the air cleaner housing bolts. Tighten: Tighten the air cleaner housing bolts to 10 Nm (89 inch lbs.) .
  2. Connect the air cleaner outlet hose to the throttle body.
  3. Connect the breather tube to the camshaft cover.
  4. Connect the MAT sensor connector.

graphic

1. Connect the negative battery cable.

Oil Pump Removal and Installation

Tools Required:
KM-498-B Pressure Gauge
KM-135 Adapter

Removal

2. Remove the timing belt.
  3. Remove the rear timing belt cover.

graphic

1. Disconnect the oil pressure switch connector.
  2. Remove the oil pan.
  3. Remove the oil suction pipe and support bracket bolts.

graphic

1. Remove the oil suction pipe.
  2. Remove the oil pump retaining bolts.
  3. Carefully separate the oil pump and gasket from the engine block and oil pan.

graphic

1. Remove the oil pump. Installation
  1. Apply Loctite 242 to the oil pump bolts and Room Temperature Vulcanizing (RTV) sealant to the new oil pump gasket.

graphic

1. Install the gasket to the oil pump and install the oil pump to the engine block with the bolts. Tighten: Tighten the oil pump retaining bolts to 10 Nm (89 inch lbs.) .

graphic

1. Install a new oil pump-to-crankshaft seal. Coat the lip of the seal with a thin coat of grease.
  2. Coat the threads of the oil suction pipe and support bracket bolts with Loctite 242.

graphic

1. Install the oil suction pipe and the bolts. Tighten: Tighten the oil suction pipe bolts to 10 Nm (89 inch lbs.) and support bracket bolts to 6 Nm (53 inch lbs.) .
  2. Install the oil pan.
  3. Connect the oil pressure switch connector.
  4. Install the rear timing belt cover.
  5. Install the timing belt.

graphic

1. Connect the negative battery cable.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
kiatech
Sunday morning.
Recieved the info you sent. You have no idea how glad I am to have found you and just ask. I'll print the info and head for the garage. Between the Suzuki , your info, and the Race this afternoon I think I'll be busy this afternoon.
Thanks again,
Richard.