George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ yrs, AAS Automotive Technology, Factory trained Asian specialist

hello, I have a 03 Hyundai Tiburon 2.7 5-speed. I just installed

hello, I have a 03 Hyundai Tiburon 2.7 5-speed. I just installed a new clutch conversion kit, Valeo manufacture, Gripforce company out of California.The kit , clutch disc, pressure plate and throwout bearing, replaces the dual mass with a solid flywheel. When I had the transaxle out, my son jumped in the car and pushed the clutch pedal to the floor. after assembling the transaxle I can't push in the clutch pedal. I am 101 percent sure that I installed the clutch correctly. the clutch pedal is solid, hard as a rock! I disconnected the slave cylinder from the clutch fork, the fork is free, still can not push the pedal. don't understand, need help!!

Hello I will help you with your question,

When your son pushed the clutch to the floor the rubber cup on the slave turned inside out and you cannot push all the way down or the master culinder was damaged for the same reason.

Loosen the bleedre screw on the slave and see if you can push the pedal down halfway with your hand. If you can replace the slave.

Let me know what you find you may have to test further

Tell me exactly how you installed the throwout bearing and that may be another avenue that can cause this

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
hello, I bled the slave cylinder and the pedal did go to the floor. I took the slave cylinder apart and the rubber was not flipped. also the pedal does not return. it also seems that the cylinder will push the fork away from the pressure plate. The throwout bearing is installed on top of , or against the pressure plate and the fork is on the opposite side of the bearing

The bearing needs to be mounted to the fork then once the trans is installed the lever for the shaft is pressed to snap the bearing into the pressure plate where it pulls on the plate. If the fingers of the shaft are not installed to the bearing but are resting ontop of the ears (the shaft will turn one direction with the lever removed but hits the bearing in the other direction then the trans needs to be pulled back far enough to insert the forks in the bearing ears.

I have seen the shaft get twisted from the braring being installed incorrectly and too much force being used to try to release the clutch so that is a consideration if you have forced the pedal

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you very much George, you are correct, I did not install yhe throwout bearing correctly it is on top of the ears, I thought the bearing pushed the pressure plate, did not think it was pulling it. that explains the direction of the slave cylinder and the fork. Thank you again.

Glad to help, don't ask how I came by this info!!

Let me know if there is anything else I can do for you