GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Auto Service Tech
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
10949255

Windshield wipers do not park properly. Had fixed once..very

Customer Question

Windshield wipers do not park properly. Had fixed once..very costly!
Window lock switch is sloppy.. locks when driver door is closed. I have it taped.
Transmission shift knob has fallen apart...also taped together
Rear window de-froster does not work.
Emergency flasher switch lens broke during funeral.
2002 Olds Intrigue purchased new in 2003.
I have NEVER owned a vehicle with these crazy problems. I have had 2 brake jobs done on this car with only 103 K with all four rotors replaced @ $1,000 + in cost each time. What re-calls on this piece of crap are there? Thanx.
Category: Car
Expert:  danny replied 4 years ago.

As you would suspect there a mountain of trouble service bulletins on the vehicle. but only one recall and thats on an onstar module.

Resale wont be to good as they dont make olds anymore.

I have an olds mini van and it has had several issues its self.

I would watch out for the brake job guy he sounds kinda crooked. If you want to try changing your brakes your self when they get low, maybe try doing it your self with a simple JA question for directions on how to. 50 bucks or less pads and The cost of a JA question is alot better than a 1000. Let us know If there is anything you would like to fix your self.

Expert:  danny replied 4 years ago.
thanks dan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX my question dealt more with the wipers not "parking" in the proper position. I know that I was taken on the brake job...Wisconsin tags in Florida....

Any ideas on fixing the wipers?

I also found that the Inrtigue had an issue with the steering...recall #09E005000, dealing with Dorman. Might be after-market welds on steering shaft.

Thanx, but I need to know about the wipers.

Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 4 years ago.

Greetings and Welcome to Just answer.

I see that Dan is offline and you are waiting. Do the wipers part in the straight up position? If this is the tab on the support plate that wiper motor bolts to. This tab is there to catch a lever on the reversing mechanism in the crank arm and is supposed to pull the wipers down. If that tab is worn down, it will not catch the lever the wires park in the up position because the reversing mechanism has not been engaged. Ideally you should replace the plate, but you can bend that tab slightly to catch the lever once again.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Pics or diagrams would sure help. This question was already answered by tech Tim West, but would still require more research on my part, such as the GM repair manual.

I am ready to trash this vehicle, or at the least shove it up Obama Motors collective butt. Wipers that park in the line of vision should certainly warrant a safety re-call. I had this fixed once. Never have I had a vehicle have this problem. Even when I had a 62 Rambler.....it would stall on RR tracks, but at least the wipers worked so you could see the train bearing down on you!

I need more info if I am to proceed with this repair myself, or turn it over to a garage.

I am a retired power plant mechanic so I have the time to do it, but I need to know if it is worth it, or if the next snow storm will screw this poor system up again.

• Install the wiper motor on the wiper drive system module with three screws.

Tightening
    Tighten three screws to 7 N·m (62 lb in).

Object Number: 334250  Size: SH

• Install the wiper motor crank arm on the wiper motor.
    3.1. Install the connector to the wiper motor.
    3.2. Turn the ignition switch to the ACCY position.
    3.3. Set the wiper switch to the PULSE position. The wiper motor should be operating.
    3.4. Turn the ignition off when the wiper motor is in the innerwipe position and not moving.
    3.5. Disconnect the connector from the wiper motor.

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

3.6. Install the wiper motor crank arm on the wiper motor while maintaining a 4-8 mm (0.157-0.314 in) gap between wiper motor crank arm and bracket tab.

3.7. Install the screw.
    3.8. Check the gap between wiper motor crank arm and bracket tab. If the gap is not 4-8 mm (0.157-0.314 in), remove the crank arm and repeat installation.

Tighten
    Tighten the screw to 16 N·m (142 lb in).

3.9. Install the rubber boot onto the wiper motor crank arm.

Object Number: 334235  Size: SH
    HERE is a picture with the tab circiled.
  • Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 4 years ago.

Oh, and I am from north of the 49th.

Here is the bulletin.

02-08-43-002: Windshield Wipers Park in Outwipe Position (Install Wiper Motor Crank Arm and Wiper Motor Bracket Service Kit) - (May 22, 2002)

Subject:Windshield Wipers Park In Outwipe Position (Install Wiper Motor Crank Arm and Wiper Motor Bracket Service Kit)

Models:2002 Buick Century, Regal
    2002 Chevrolet Impala, Monte Carlo
    2002 Oldsmobile Intrigue
    2002 Pontiac Grand Prix

Condition

Some customers may comment that the windshield wipers park in the outwipe (vertical) position.

Cause

This condition may be caused by a bent park tab on the windshield wiper motor bracket.

Correction

To correct this condition, install a new windshield wiper motor crank arm and a windshield wiper motor bracket service kit. Use the following service procedure:

Bent Wiper Motor Park Tab

Object Number: 883067  Size: SH
      Click here for detailed picture of above image.
    1. Remove the windshield wiper motor drive system module. Inspect the park tab on the wiper motor bracket. It may be bent as shown in the illustration above. Refer to the Wiper Drive System Module Replacement procedure in the Wipers/Washer Systems sub-section of the Service Manual (SI Document ID #818798).
    2. Remove the windshield wiper transmission from the windshield wiper motor bracket. Refer to the Wiper Transmission Replacement procedure in the Wipers/Washer Systems sub-section of the Service Manual (SI Document ID #818797).
    3. Remove the windshield wiper motor crank arm from the windshield wiper motor. Refer to the Wiper Motor Crank Arm Replacement procedure in the Wipers/Washer Systems sub-section of the Service Manual (SI Document ID #818984).
    4. Remove the windshield wiper motor from the windshield wiper motor bracket. Refer to the Wiper Motor Replacement procedure in the Wipers/Washer Systems sub-section of the Service Manual (SI Document ID #818796).

Straight Wiper Motor Park Tab

Object Number: 883068  Size: SH
    5. Reassemble the windshield wiper motor drive system using a new windshield wiper motor crank arm, P/N 12494832 and the contents of the windshield wiper motor bracket service kit, P/N 88958149 (in Canada, P/N 88958260). The park tab on the new wiper motor bracket should be straight as shown in the illustration shown above.
    6. Reinstall the windshield wiper motor transmission onto the new windshield wiper motor bracket. Refer to the Wiper Transmission Replacement procedure in the Wipers/Washer Systems sub-section of the Service Manual (SI Document ID #818797).
    7. Reinstall the windshield wiper motor onto the windshield wiper motor bracket. Refer to the Wiper Motor Replacement procedure in the Wipers/Washer Systems sub-section of the Service Manual (SI Document ID #818796). Refer to the instruction sheet in the service kit for the proper installation of the flat washer onto the windshield wiper motor bracket. It must be seated against the park tab on the windshield wiper motor bracket.
    8. Reinstall the windshield wiper motor crank arm onto the windshield wiper motor. Refer to the Wiper Motor Crank Arm Replacement procedure in the Wipers/Washer Systems sub-section of the Service Manual (SI Document ID #818984).
    9. Reinstall the windshield wiper drive system module into the vehicle. Refer to the Wiper Drive System Module Replacement procedure in the Wipers/Washer sub-section of the Service Manual (SI Document ID #818798).
    10. Test the operation of the windshield wipers and washer.

Parts Information

Part Number

Description

Qty

12494832

Arm, Windshield Wiper Motor Crank

1

88958149

(US)

88958260

(Canada)

Windshield Wiper Motor Bracket Service Kit

1

GM Tech (Cam), Auto Service Tech
    Experience: GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.