1smartcarguy
1smartcarguy, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Assoc. degree in automotive technology, ASE certified, Diploma for high perf. engines, dealer tech
32196277

LINCOLN LS: TROUBLE CODE..VALVE BODY..SPRINGS..PACK..A 02 LINCOLN LS

Customer Question

I HAVE AN 04 LINCOLN LS WITH TROUBLE CODE PO732 INCORRECT GEAR RATIO OR SELECTION. I ALREADY CHECKED THE VALVE BODY FOR BROKEN SPRINGS OR STUCK VALVES. ALSO I HAD CHANGED THE SOLINIOD PACK, THE SOLINIOD PACK IS OUT OF A 02 LINCOLN LS, JUST THE SMALL VALVE BODY ON TOP OF THE 04 SOLINIOD WAS DIFFERNT BUT ABLE TO CHANGE IT OVER TO THE 02 SOLINIOD AND INSTALL IT IN THE 04 LS. STILL HAVE SAME CODE WITH SYMTOMS,CHECK TRANSMISSION AND STUCK IN SECOUND GEAR
Category: Car
Expert:  1smartcarguy replied 4 years ago.

This is a common problem of ford / lincoln transmissions. Unfortunately the end result usually is a transmission replacement. There is a technical service bulletin for this issue. This is most likely the issue.

Further diagnostics of this code would require a ford specific scan tool

here is a copy of the bulletin

TSB 09-12-12

06/29/09

5R555/5R55N/5R55W TRANSMISSIONS - SHIFT
CONCERNS, LOSS OF 2ND, 3RD AND 5TH GEAR,
INCORRECT RATIO DTC'S - PROCEDURE TO
INSPECT AND REPAIR SERVO PIN BORE WEAR

FORD:
2002-2005 Thunderbird
2005-2009 Mustang
2002-2009 Explorer
2007-2009 Explorer Sport Trac

LINCOLN:
2002-2006 Lincoln LS
2003-2005 Aviator

MERCURY:
2002-2009 Mountaineer

ISSUE
Some 2002-2009 Explorer, Mountaineer, 2007-2009 Explorer Sport Trac, 2002-2006 Lincoln LS, 2005-2009 Mustang, 2002-2005 Thunderbird and 2003-2005 Aviator vehicles equipped with a 5R55S, 5R55W, and 5R55N transmission may experience shifting concerns. A loss of 2nd, 3rd and 5th gear, may have overdrive band or intermediate band failures due to servo pin case bore wear causing reduced apply pressure.

ACTION
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

For transmissions that have been determined to require an overhaul or rebuild and the overdrive band or intermediate band have excessive wear or burned/damaged band friction material, the cause maybe excessive servo pin case bore wear generally found on higher mileage vehicles, usually accompanied with incorrect ratio diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs), condition becomes worse when hot. (Figure 1)

In our instructions, when we refer to the overdrive bore, we are talking about the smaller bore located closest to the bell housing. When we refer to the intermediate bore, we are talking about the larger bore located next to the line pressure tap.

Inspect and repair the worn-damaged transmission case servo pin bore utilizing the Rotunda Tool 5RW Master Kit part number NRL5RW servo pin bore repair system (1-800-768-8632 option 6).

1.Install the drill jig into the case by setting the jig into the case servo bore. Retain the jig in the case with the servo's snap-ring. (Figure 2)

2.Drop the 9/16" guide into the jig. It doesn't matter which one of the lands on the guide you use, as long as one of the lands is under the 3/8" Allen screw.

NOTE CUTTING OIL MUST BE USED FOR LUBRICATION. THE USE OF SUBSTITUTES, PARTICULARLY ATF, MAY RESULT IN AN OVER-SIZED BORE.

3.Ream out the bore using the 9/16" reamer applying ample lubrication.

NOTE DO NOT REAM ABOVE 500 RPM. (Figure 3)

4.Replace the 9/16" reamer guide with the 5/8" guide, and the 9/16" reamer with the 5/8" reamer.

5.Ream the bore out using the 5/8" reamer with ample lubrication. Take care not to either push too hard on the reamer or turn the reamer faster than 500 RPM when reaming. Either one can overly enlarge the bore, causing a loose bushing.

6.Clean the case before proceeding to Step 7. This kit utilizes two different bushings.

a.The shorter bushing is for the intermediate servo and is identified by a flat ground in the bushing's hat. (Figure 4A)

b.Overdrive servo bushing. (Figure 4B)

c.Both bushings are chamfered and need to be installed with the recessed edge up (away from the valve body).

7.Apply Loctite® 680 Retaining Compound or equivalent to the outside of the bushing and drive the bushing in by hitting the driver until the bushing bottoms. (Figure 5) The 5RW kit uses a smaller diameter installation tool identified by a groove cut in the handle.

8.After installing the bushing, using a 15/64" bit, drill a hole in the side of the bushing by following the servo apply holes in the case 5R555 case shown.

a.Overdrive servo. (Figure 6)

b.Intermediate servo. (Figure 7)

NOTE FAILURE TO PERFORM CROSS DRILL STEP IN THE NEW BUSHING WILL RESULT IN A NO SHIFT CONDITION.

9.Insert the provided sizing pin into the bore. It maybe necessary to start the pin in the bushing with a rubber mallet. Once the pin is inside the bushing, use a punch to drive the pin all the way through the bushing. Repeat as necessary. (Figure 8)

Correctly installed bushings will be flush inside of case. (Figure 9)

The 9/16" and 5/8" reamers require typical maintenance and cleaning of aluminum build up on the cutting edges to help provide optimum bushing installation and increased tool life.

After bushing installation, thoroughly wash the case before rebuilding transmission.

WARRANTY STATUS: Information Only

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
YOU DONT THINK THAT THE VALVE BODY ITSELF COULD BE THE CAUSE, OR MAYBE A VSS?

with it being such a common issue for the service bulletin I wouldn't think it would be.

You could have an issue in the valve body, but i eliminated that since you said you inspected it. Also the valve body pieces usually go bad and not the actual metal body portion - unless it brakes.

if the VSS was at fault it should have tripped a code for the issue, and as long as it is functioning correctly on the speedometer it would further lead me away from it being an issue.

Its hard to diagnose this specific issue without a ford scanner as there are specific test procedures just for this issue.

Hope this helps

Accepts greatly appreciated

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ONE MORE THING,HOW WOULD I KNOW IF THE SOLINIOD PK THAT I INSTALLED FROM THE 02 LS IS STILL GOOD BESIDES THE CAR NOT TRIPPING ANY NEW CODES OR SYMTOMS? IS THERE ANY WAY I COULD TEST THE PK, OHM SPECK OR SOMETHIND OF THAT NATURE. I ASK BECAUSE THE 02 LS HAD THE SAME PROBLEMS AS THE 04LS AND I FOUND A BROKEN SPRING IN SHIFT SERVO 2 INSIDE THE VALVE BODY. IF I DONT GET A RESPONDS SOON I WILL HAVE TO TRY BACK TOMARROW CAUSE WE ARE CLOSING FOR THE NIGHT. WELL BE BACK AT 9AM.
You can ohm test any solenoid. Whenever you ohm test the solenoids you should be able to hear them click. If they don't click they are no longer good.

Diagram of all solenoids

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
HOW WOULD I SPECIFICLY OHM THIS SOLINIOD PK? MAINLY THE SSB I THINK IS THE SOLINIOD THAT WOULD BE THE BAD ONE.WHAT TERMINALS AND SOFORTH, AND PENDING THE OUT COME OF THE TEST WE SHOULD SEE WHAT HELP WAS GIVIN TO COME TO A SOLUTION.HOW DO I GET BACK IN CONTACT WITH 1SMARTGUY TOMARROW?

To ohm the solenoid pack use the diagram i sent above and connect your multimeter to both sides of each wire coming from whichever solenoid you want to check. The current from the multimeter will choose the least path of resistance and activate whichever solenoid you have the wires connected to.

You can reach me back at this same question box. You should still have this on your account as it doesn't time out for 48 hours.