George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ yrs, AAS Automotive Technology, Factory trained Asian specialist

2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT: cigarette lighter..loose..the hole..wiring

My 2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT cigarette lighter used for plugging in a cell phone recharger is not working. The part the lighter/plug goes in is loose from a shell I can see when I look in the hole but the wiring is still in place. I can reach under the side frame and feel it. Can it just be screwed back in. I have blow a couple of fuses trying. Is the any info on the internet that gives me and exploded view to help with this?

Hello I will help you with your question,

There is a nut that holds the lighter in place, it may have cracked when you pulled the charger plug out, if so the dealer can supply you with a new one

Let me know what I can do to help you with this

Thank you

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It appears as if the socket(5) goes through the case(4) and is secured by the nut(3). Is this correct and if the nut is off but not cracked will it be on the carpet or dangling from the wiring. I tried reaching up under console from passenger side. Is Driver side better? Also, if console retainers on both sides removed, will there be more room to access the parts?

I would remove the console, the nut will not be on the wiring

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I do not wish to unhook my Satellite Radio Recediver that is attached to the concole. If all 4 retained (both sides are removed) will there be enough room to get my hand under and do the work?

Yes, if you remove the sides you should be able to effect the repair

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It looks like I have to remove the console to get to the repair area. To remove the console box with the cupholder that surronds the gear shift, are there any screws or snap-in rivets to remove or does it just lift out?

Hello again,

Click here for the complete console diagram