Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Tech
7276279

1997 Lincoln Continental: 62,000 miles..burnt smell..smoke..parked

I owe a 1997 Lincoln Continental with 62,000 miles, and yesterday my radio stop working.
I got off from work and got into my car and detected a burnt smell, but no trace of smoke. I turned the engine on and tried to turn the radio on but it was dead. In other words this happened while the car was parked and the engine was off. Is this a common problem? is it necessary to replace the radio or is it repairable? by the way everything else is functional and nothing else was affected by this.
please advioce?
thank you
robert

HiCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

It is not all the uncommon for this type of problem to occur, Ford has had many known issues with the radios and in most case replacement is going to be cheaper than having the radio rebuilt. The radio maintains power for memory even when the key is off.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thanks Ron.

do you think it is worth contacting Ford and asking them for help with this issue?

Buying a new radio is not in my budget, and I would immagine this is expensive.

what do you think?

regards

robert

HiCustomer

Yes its usually more expensive to repair that replace . It certainly would not hurt to contact your dealer and if the want your return business they may help you. If not there are other options you can explorer.

You can often time buy good used ones on EBay and I have provide you with the link if you so choose to go this route.

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=97+lincoln+radio+&_cqr=true&_nkwusc=97+linclon+radio&_rdc=1