1smartcarguy
1smartcarguy, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Assoc. degree in automotive technology, ASE certified, Diploma for high perf. engines, dealer tech
32196277

2002 Isuzu Axiom: it stopped blowing cold, there was a rattling noise

2002 Isuzu Axiom. Last summer the A/C stopped blowing cold. About a month before it stopped blowing cold, there was a rattling noise and the a/c would blow cold when the car was moving. Then it stopped blowing cold, 2 weeks later it was working again. Then it started the blowing cold when the car was moving thing again. The faster I drove, the colder the a/c would blow, but sitting at idle, it would blow hot. The weather turned so never got around to fixing it. Now, its getting warm again and it wont blow cold at all. Any ideas?
Category: Car
Expert:  1smartcarguy replied 4 years ago.

Well the most common issue would be a low refrigerant in the system. Though If the rattling noise was related to the A/C it could be a compressor issue.

The reason why it is probably cold when your driving is because the condenser is being cooled by the air passing over it.

Without spending to much money you could check and try to add some refrigerant to the system. This can be purchased from most auto parts stores in small quantities and will have directions on how to put it in the system and measure how much.

checking and adding refrigerant is about the only thing you can do without taking it to a repair facility to have it hooked up to an A/C machine.

Hope this helps

Accepts greatly appreciated

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i'm wondering if the noise was the compressor clutch. now, when i turn on the ac it doesn't make any noise, rather just blows hot. is there a way to check if the compressor is engaging without the refrigerant? can i feel it working if I touch it while its on, etc?

When the A/c is turned on. All you need to do is look at the side of the compressor, you can visually see if the clutch is engaging.

Though if you are to low or out of refrigerant the clutch will never engage because the pressure switch is telling the clutch that there is not enough refrigerant in the system.

When looking at the side of the compressor in the picture the clutch is #2 in the picture.

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
One last question and I will accept. Buying a can of refrigerant, is there a charge valve I connect it to? How much do I need to see if thats the problem? Is 1 can going to provide enough pressure to engage the clutch?

yes there is a charge valve, the low side pressure port. Somewhere on your A/C lines you will see 2 fittings. They will have a plastic cap on them usually(blue and red usually). You use 1 of these to charge the system. The freon charge should have step by step directions on it to help you.

1 can should be plenty to at least see if this is the issue and enough to kick the compressor on.

Picture to help show where low side charge port should be.

graphic

Hope this helps

Accepts and feedback greatly appreciated

1smartcarguy, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Assoc. degree in automotive technology, ASE certified, Diploma for high perf. engines, dealer tech