Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  16 years automotive and OTR repair including specialized training from Toyota and Mitsubishi

I get the hub item #3 to seperate form item #2?

How can I get the hub item #3 to seperate form item #2? Is there a retaining ring to remove first and how do I get to it if there is?
Category: Car
Expert:  Doug replied 6 years ago.

Just so I understand correctly, are you trying to replace a front wheel bearing?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes, the wheel bearing on the passanger side. Everything seems to be seized up but I am concerned that I might break something if I really beat on the thing.
Expert:  Doug replied 6 years ago.

Unfortunately changing the wheel bearing is going to take some work on this vehicle. The bearing is a pressed in bearing, and as such it needs to be pressed out as well.

To do this, you are going to need to remove the spindle from the car, and you will need to have access to a hydraulic press.

The spindle is bolted via balljoints to the upper and lower control arms, and to the steering rack tie-rod ends. Unbolt all three and use a tie rod end separator to remove the tie rod end. The balljoints can be finessed loose with a rubber mallet.

Once off the vehicle, use the hydraulic press to push the hub (part with wheel studs) out the front of the spindle:

You can then flip the spindle over and push the bearing out the back. Check for a snap ring (large) behind the bearing before pressing out.

Press the new bearing in in reverse fashion, spraying the new bearing with penetrating oil to aid in installation. Make sure it is completely straight up and down and that the spindle is level to avoid it binding. Continue to press until it bottoms out.

Press the hub back into the new bearing and spindle in similar fashion. Be sure to check the hub for the inner race from the old bearing; they often stick on during removal. You can remove it using a hammer and a drift.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I was told by the dealership that there is a retaining ring in there somewhere. The spindle is already free from the bearing and by removing the spindle the bearing is still inside the housing. My problem is getting the the hub assembly that moves freely and is disconnected from the spindle but seems to be retained somehow in item#2 whish is the picture you are showing above. Getting the bearing out and back in will not be a problem and is not what I am struglling with right now.

Expert:  Doug replied 6 years ago.

Let me clarify a little; When I refer to the spindle, I mean the flange that is mounted between the upper and lower control arms, which houses the axle, bearing, rotor, caliper, etc.

The part you have free is the axle (which had the large nut on it, and you pushed through).

There is no way you can change the bearing without removing the spindle (not the axle) from the vehicle. Once out, you will push the hub out of the bearing, flip it over, remove the retaining ring (snap ring) and push the bearing out the back.

Maybe I am not understanding exactly what you are having an issue with?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes, the spindle that i was refering to is what you call the axle. So the spindle is still in the vehicle and I was told that it did not need to be removed and that I should be able towith draw the hub from it. Are you sure that this is not the case?
Expert:  Doug replied 6 years ago.

I have never seen anyone able to do that.... On some older Kia cars I remember doing them with a slide hammer, not a sorento though.

If you would like I can Opt-Out of the question so others can comment on it for you.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

The hub is the issue. Something is holding onto it and it isn't the axle. Perhaps it is a retaining ring and the bearing holding the hub in. I will pull off the spindle assembly even though i was told it was not neccesary and try your advice. Steve

Expert:  Doug replied 6 years ago.

Okay Steve,

I think once you have it off you'll see how it is pressed together. If you have any questions once it is out let me know. And again, if you would like me to Opt out of the questions so others can see it, just let me know.

Good luck!