jazzmaster, ASE Certified Tech
Experience:  ase certified--32 yrs experience

1995 oldsmobile: ive changed the heater..floor boards

Customer Question

I have a 1995 Oldsmobile Cirera and can't figure out why it keeps over-heating (OH). I've changed the thermostat 3 times.Seems to OH more when I make the mistake of turning on my heater. The front floor boards are not wet at all. Never can see any steam rising up from anywhere under the hood. In the begining it would almost OH then cool back down again then OH again but not as hot, it would do that about three times then it ran with the gauge about 3/4 of the way to the red line. I was about the bleeder valve and tried to bleed out the air in the system. The first time it seemed to do good but now even when it is OH The valve doesn't even let out much steam, much less any coolant. I'm at my wits end HELP!!
Category: Car
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 6 years ago.
hi, I would do a headgasket/head check on this,there is a kit out for this some shops may have this test kit(its kind-of expensive)to check for thee presence of hydrocarbons in the coolant ,it that checks out ok then if you keep having to add coolant ,a bad intake manifold gasket (very common with these motors),also check your oil for the presence of water in your oil...guy..