Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database

Mercury tracer: overheating..a recurring problem on this little wagon

My mercury tracer is overheating. Can I remove the thermostat for the summer and run it without it? This has been a recurring problem on this little wagon.
Category: Car
Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.
Yes, removing the thermostat will be fine if thats the problem.......If it still overheats you want to look at other possible problems such as the headgasket, radiator, cooling fans, or waterpump. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
In reference to to answer, I can check if the thermostat, radiator, and cooling fan are ok if I remove the radiator cap, start the car and let it run until it gets hot and I can see if water is circulating and if the cooling fan comes on, this will tell me thermostat, radiator and cooling fan are o9k?
Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.

You will need to watch to see if the cooling fans come on and use a temp gun for the radiator but that would confirm the thermostat is opening.