Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

p00008 code

p00008 code
Category: Car
Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.
What year, model, make, and engine size of vehicle? Thanks.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
zusuki XL7 2007
v6 3.5 l.
Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.

What country are you in?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
portland oregon USA
Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.

Ok, here is the information on this code, also check the oil level if low it could cause this problem. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

P0008 Engine System Position Performance (Bank 1) - With Automatic Transmission

Possible CausesSetting Conditions
  • Check the timing chain and tensioner for excessive wear or misalignment
  • Check the crankshaft reluctor when for being miss-positioned on the crankshaft
DTC P0010, P0011, P0013, P0014, P0020, P0021, P0023, P0024, P0341, P0342, P0343, P0346, P0347, P0348, P0366, P0367, P0368, P0391, P0392, P0393, P2088, P2089, P2090, P2091, P2092, P2093, P2094 and P2095 not set, engine running, camshaft positions learned, and the ECM detected the that both camshafts on either bank of the engine were misaligned with the crankshaft for 4 seconds or for a cumulative of 50 seconds. The ECM tests for a misalignment between both camshafts on one bank of the engine and the crankshaft. The misalignment would be at an idler sprocket for either bank or at the crankshaft. Once the ECM learns the position of both camshafts on one bank of the engine, the ECM compares the learned values to a reference value. The ECM will set a DTC if both learned values for one bank of the engine are exceeding a calibrated threshold in the same direction.

This code sets in 2 Trip(s).
This code will turn on the MIL (Malfunction Indicator Lamp)

Edited by Dan on 5/2/2010 at 2:16 AM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I read all this already from the zusuki forum already. what I was looking for is the right fix for this, like somebody has done this and it did fix the problem. so far everithing is so broad I do not want to start chasing the problem that way. I you have something more close please let me know .thanks
Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.
Thats about as detailed as information as your going to get......Even if someone has done this themselves the same steps are required which are checking the oil, if good check the timing marks, if good then check the reluctor wheel.......Let me know if you have questions, if you would like I could opt out so you could get a second opinion but it will likely be the same. Thanks.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok this is better , also what hapened is that in the last email your answer was scramble like some parts of the text were on the right of the text itself. and mixing the lines.
Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.
I'm not sure what the problem is, it looks fine from my end but the website has been having alot of problems lately. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.