danny, Mechanic
Experience:  Mechanic at school corp bus garage! Experience in fleet diesel and regular automotive.

2006 Kia Rio: 000 miles..dies..the Check Engine light comes on

I am a college student and I have a 2006 Kia Rio with 70,000 miles. It is no longer under warranty. My problem is -- the car stalls (dies hard) in traffic and the Check Engine light comes on. I CAN restart the car, but the Check Engine light goes off, so I cannot get a timely code reading. This has happened about 5 times and always in traffic, so it is very dangerous! Thanks very much for any help you can provide!
- Chelsea
Category: Car
Expert:  danny replied 6 years ago.
The codes should still be stored in history. But more than likely you may have to have your ecu reprogrammed. Kind of a glitch they have been having. it could be an upgrade needed also. this could be done at the dealer and they may or may not cover it.