chrytech
chrytech, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  10+years experience in GM and chrysler
17227360

How much is the typical replacement for shocks and struts for

How much is the typical replacement for shocks and struts for both front and back? I was quoted a little over $1,000 at a Firestone Service shop and this is for a 2001 Hyundai Elantra. This seems rather high.

This same shop also quoted me $818.00 for a front break job which also included replacement of a wheel bearing and two rotors. When I looked at their estimate, the parts seemed reasonable but the labor was high.

Any thoughts?
Category: Car
Expert:  chrytech replied 6 years ago.
Hello the estimate seems about right as most places charge about 1-1.5 per shock /strut so you'd be looking at 4-6 he's labor for the shocks /struts total. Front brakes usually are about 1.5- 2 hours labor and an additional 1hour for the bearing that needs changed do the bearing and front brake job should be about 2.5-3.5 hours labor total. Times those by the shops hourly rate and you'll have your total.

How much was the estate you received for labor?